2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Pump Relay Question....

Old 09-13-2011, 10:20 PM
zOOkStEr72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel Pump Relay Question....

I am working on my 99 Ram 1500, with 5.9 Liter Engine. I replaced the fuel pump ( it is working, I tested it ), but when I turn the key forward, to the run position... the pump's not kicking on to prime the system. So, I started checking everything. I chased the wires to the relay box. I skinned the 2 wires, and threw power and a ground to them. The pump kicked on, no problems.

I followed the 2 wires into the relay box, and to the fuel pump relay itself. I made a jumper wire, and touched the 2 contacts ( with the relay removed ) and the pump kicked in again. But, when I have the relay installed, and turn the key forward.... nothing. I have 6 different relays, that I tried in that slot ( out of my 01 Ram ) and none of them kick the pump on. I don't think all my relays are bad... what else could be the problem?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check fuse to control side of relay. Manual in DIY section of this forum.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 PM
gdstock
Legend

Check Fuse #9, 10A and ASD Relay as well.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 PM
zOOkStEr72

I just looked over all the headings in the DIY forum. Can you post the link to the thread your talking about please?

I read two stories that are similar to mine, but neither solved their problem. One guy just ran a wire into the cab, and worked the pump off of a toggle switch instead lol. I actually thought about that, but would rather correct the problem, then rig it.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM
gdstock
Legend

I am not citiing a thread. Using electrical schematic, and past knowledge. (electrical engineering background).

Do you have a Haynes or FSM? Haynes page 12-38.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 PM
zOOkStEr72

I checked the #9 fuse, and the ASD relay..... I changed them both, and still nothing.

I recently found a switch above the steering wheel, that I believe to be the roll over switch. This push button switch, seems to be broken. I push it, and it doesn't click, or anything. Going to look over the wiring diagram, to see, where this is supposed to be running to, and from. Right now, the red is hooked to my headlight... that doesn't seem like a factory job. If it were, it would be in the wiring harness.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:16 PM
gdstock
Legend

There is a wiring diagram in the 2001 FSM that can be found in the DIY section. Do you have this? It may help. It is more complete that the Haynes.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:18 AM
zOOkStEr72

Yeah, I found it, and downloaded it. Yeah, it's pretty specific all right lol. I'm trying to make sense of the diagrams, but it's like they are in German to me lol. I know basic codes, and diagrams.. but these... are way more than I can comprehend. Giving it, the old college try tho..........

Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

The diagram on page 8w-30-11 I think is the clearest......

Basically, at the fuel pump relay socket in the pdc, pin 30 should be hot at all times. Pin 86 may be always hot as well, but, should most certainly be hot with the ignition in the run position. Pin 85 goes to the PCM, and should GROUND for three seconds when the key is first turned on. Pin 86 goes to the fuel pump, applying power there should make the pump run.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Relay Question....