Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan Intermittent Wipers not working...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Cpoc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan Intermittent Wipers not working...

Hi have the caravan 2000 with the 3.0 liter engine. The intermittent wipers are not working. However the wipers on low and high speed are working. I looked at the fuse box and did not find any fuses for the intermittent wipers. I have no check engine light on.

I have read reports that sometimes the wiper assembly is bad for these modules. Is there a way to test or maybe a relay to change that is not in the main fuse box.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most of the time it is the multifunction switch (turn signal, wiper switch). Hard to test it without a scan tool. The switch is an input to the BCM and then the BCM grounds the wiper relay to actuate the wipers. Pretty common for the switch to fail though.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Cpoc

I see, if I use a scan tool will it detect the problem if I turn on the wiper switch. I will get another one at the junk yard I thought it was a relay that I may have missed.

So is it the same relay for wipers low/high mode as in the Intermittent that makes the wipers work. If so then it's not the relay. How would I test this with a scan tool.

Last edited by Cpoc; 09-15-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are two relays, a on / off relay and a high / low speed relay.

You want to see the voltage input from the switch at the BCM and see it change every setting. The scan tool will tell you weather it wants the motor running or not. If the contacts in the motor were bad, the motor wouldn't run but the BCM would think it was. All it knows is the relay was actuated and weather the motor is parked or not.

There were two common issues, the switch and the park switch in the wiper motor. Usually when the park switch goes bad, when you are in intermittent mode, the wipers would move a few inches and stop, move a few inches and stop.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Cpoc

Thanks for the explanation make sense now.

My issue is that it works on low or high setting however if you leave it in the intermittent setting nothing happens. It it like its on the off setting.

To make it work you have to switch it to low setting then turn it off. This is how I use it as intermittent mode.

So I guess I need to change the whole switch cluster to fix it cause it just won't work at all in intermittent mode.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caravan Intermittent Wipers not working...