1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

problems aligning timing marks on 96 avenger 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 PM
kenneonnh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems aligning timing marks on 96 avenger 2.5

Hello to all. Here is my issue. The timing belt on my 96 Avenger jumped. The valves on the front (left) head were damaged. I replaced the head with a reconditioned one. On the right head, I removed it to replace the gasket, and the valve stem seals. All seemed to go well. I am now re-assembling the engine, and attempting to install the new timing belt. The problem is, I cannot get the timing mark on the rear (right) head into its proper position. I do not know how to proceed, and would appreciate advice. It is not that that the valves are pressing against the pistons. The cam is under load from valve springs, and won't stay in the position needed to line up the marks. So far, I have done everything by the book, but am now at a loss.
Thanks,
Bill

Old 09-21-2011, 11:12 PM
BackToBlack

they usualy make a cam locking tool. a helping hand would be the best way though. someone who can hold the cam in place with a wrench while you get the belt on and everything set up.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:32 PM
kenneonnh

Thanks for that info. That makes sense. I just thought that the cam would be in a more neutral position when the marks lined up.

Quick Reply: problems aligning timing marks on 96 avenger 2.5