Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

New Dodge based on Fiat 500?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:05 PM
DodgeForum Editor
DF Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dodge based on Fiat 500?

Check out BadStratRT's homepage article about the possibility of a Dodge being based on the Fiat 500. What do you think? Would this be a welcome addition to the Dodge lineup?

Old 08-12-2011, 04:09 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

When I see 'sedan' I see 'boring crap'. At worst, a 5-door hatch would be a good car for the masses but a coupe or 3-door hatch with a turbocharged engine--and a full menu of upgrades--would make for something worthwhile.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

I'm a Neon guy...would love to get me an SRT-4... and maybe I'm "old skool" now (I guess, hard to believe it was that long ago that the Evo's WRX's and SRT-4, Focus', even the Civics and Celicas were the in thing)...

Didn't even like when they replaced the Neon with the Caliber... have driven a Caliber a number of times and don't like it

This 500 just does nothing for me... have even seen it fixed up, wheels tires, paint - on the Modern Performance site... and I just find it ugly...don't care how good it drives, or what kind of power or turbo they would put in it... still just ugly to me

Would love to see something with a nice turbo to compete with like the new Ford Focus

Old 09-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Nitecop

Originally Posted by DodgeForum Editor
Check out the possibility of a Dodge being based on the Fiat 500. What do you think? Would this be a welcome addition to the Dodge lineup?
Hell No!! this just the same slippery slope that leads to the cars chrysler made in the late 70s.

IF....IF.. you feel you have no other choice in the matter and have to do this at least call it the Dodge Colt so that those of us over the age of 45 will know to avoid it.

Last edited by Nitecop; 09-17-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM
rmay635703
Amateur

I agree on differentiating the Dodge from the Fiat product but why not try something new Dodge? Offer it as a reliable diesel or twinair with a 6 speed stick, make the car a little more slippery and improve the fuel economy. (and make sure it doesn't rust like the classic fiats we remember)

I think the fiat is a welcome change to the overgrown domestic market, i feel the worst thing this country did was ban gray market cars, there are many innovative non-domestics that never see the light of day here, if we were allowed to bring them over the domestics might see that there is a market for small cars.

PS 2 of my 4 cars weigh under 1200lbs, one a subaru 360 gets around 65mpg on the highway and 50mpg in town, light and fun 920lbs, while still seating 4. My other car is a 1980 comutacar, it tops out at 50mph but uses no gas and runs on deepcycle batteries.

Long since Time to bring the can do attitude back to domestic cars eh?

perhaps a bit of education here ecomodder.com could give dodge a few ideas for 90mpg + vehicles.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Nitecop

I am fine with the mother company selling fiats here. However do not dilute the american vehicles we have now.
If its a Dodge it should be built and designed in north america.
Please no more badge engineering. That was done enough long ago.

Last edited by Nitecop; 09-17-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:03 PM
earlyre
Professional

well, actually, the 500's Sold here, ARE built in North America, albeit South of the Border...@ a Chrysler plant in Toluca, Mexico, and it's 1.4 Multiair Engine is made in Michigan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_500_(2007)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluca_Car_Assembly

Last edited by earlyre; 09-24-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Nitecop

Originally Posted by earlyre
well, actually, the 500's Sold here, ARE built in North America, albeit South of the Border...@ a Chrysler plant in Toluca, Mexico, and it's 1.4 Multiair Engine is made in Michigan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_500_(2007)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluca_Car_Assembly
Well that is fine And i like a little more because of that.
But please Do NOT call that a dodge.
I thought that Chrsyler had enough (an learned to not do it) of badge swapping in the past with diamond star motors.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just a note, the 300, Charger and Challenger all ride on a Mercedes chassis with American designed bodies and engines. A bit better than rebadging. Much like the new Camaro rides on a Holden (I believe) chassis (Aussie built).
Perhaps a rebodied 500 with a Detroit designed body would be a better idea. At least it would be unique.
I think a 500 with a 6.4L Hemi would be a fun little car

Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 PM
earlyre
Professional

Originally Posted by lxman1
Just a note, the 300, Charger and Challenger all ride on a Mercedes chassis with American designed bodies and engines. A bit better than rebadging. Much like the new Camaro rides on a Holden (I believe) chassis (Aussie built).
Perhaps a rebodied 500 with a Detroit designed body would be a better idea. At least it would be unique.
I think a 500 with a 6.4L Hemi would be a fun little car
ANY new rear drive V8 car that Gm would put out worldwide, will be designed @ Holden, they moved that entire program to Austrailia. and yes, the Camaro was Designed in Australia @ Holden, By a South Korean, as a Chevy. Always Intended to be built in North America.

don't forget the Pontiac GTO was a Holden Manaro, the G8 a Holden Commodore, and the Pontiac versions were Built down under, and imported to the states. and now there's the "Chevy Caprice Police patrol vehicle", really a Holden Caprice co designed with... the LAPD i think...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Caprice_PPV

there's been talk off & on for a few years of importing the Holden UTE, first as the Pontiac G8ST(Sport Truck), then when pontiac went away, as the El Camino. and there is an dedicated online contigent that would love to see this happen. (myself Included)

as for a uniquely american design based on the 500's platform, could be done, there are currently 5 or so diffrent vehicles in production using the same Fiat Mini Platform.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Mini_platform

not sure how the chrysler/fiat situation is going to affect the Ford Ka. (built by Fiat, based on same platform, built in same plant as fiat 500, and Fiat Panda in poland)

Last edited by earlyre; 09-25-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Dodge based on Fiat 500?