3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front diff oil change

Old 09-25-2011, 02:38 PM
djsim1056
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front diff oil change

Have 07' 1500 quad.cab,I do not see a visible fill /dran plug on the front diff, there is a rubber hose however running to top of engine compartment, for breathing I assume. Can always take cover off to drain...leaves me with the question of how to refill.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:56 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they're all pretty much that way. Back the top bolts off a bit, then start removing the bottom ones.

Refill via the hole in the face of the cover/side of the diff. 1/2" or so below the bottom of the hole is the usual level.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Amateur

I have the same truck and did not see the fill plug either at first but it was there after a closer inspection. Look on the passenger side of the cover. Little bit harder to see on the front than the back due to limited space.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

some of the dif covers have an actual threaded bolt as the fill hole but most of them have just a rubber plug. Clean off the cover and you should see a flat rubber spot about the size of a quarter or bigger, gently pry it out with a screwdriver.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 PM
djsim1056

Found it, it was the flat rubber plug just like the rear. Guess I didn't look close enough the first time. Thanks

Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM
BadHazard
Professional

pretty sure you can add the oil in through that hose, mine is completely capped off, so there is no breathing taking effect. It is really hard to get the bottle inside the hole to fill the diff. You need a pump to transfer it. Or use that hose, thats what I did,..... lol

Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 AM
freestyledude
Captain

I need to buy myself a fluid pump for things like this, it would make it a bit less messy. Remember a tube of RTV when you're at the store.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

Originally Posted by freestyledude
I need to buy myself a fluid pump for things like this, it would make it a bit less messy. Remember a tube of RTV when you're at the store.
I have thought about this for awhile on whether or not to buy a small pump to suck fluids out. The shop I work out of, we do this for differentials, I always feel bad doing it on the cars that really need a full service differential cleaning but they don't even offer that at our shop. For my personal truck I think it might be a solid investment. Any thoughts on this?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Originally Posted by Marklorenzo
I have thought about this for awhile on whether or not to buy a small pump to suck fluids out.... For my personal truck I think it might be a solid investment. Any thoughts on this?
Right now I have a cheap "hand start" syphon pump that I have used on windshield washer fluid, PS fluid, and brake fluid. It's decent for small jobs but no way would that handle thick gear oil. So I too have been thinking about a small pump. They make some that attach to most handheld drills, but I'm not sure of the viscosity of the fluid it can handle. But since northern tool and harbor freight carry pretty cheap ones I suppose if it doesn't work out so well it's no big lose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front diff oil change