Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Standardized Towing is coming; is it good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 PM
DodgeForum Editor
DF Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standardized Towing is coming; is it good or bad?

Check out BadStratRT's homepage article about Standardized tow rating testing. Is this good or bad?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 AM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Good...

It would be nice to have clear and objective data to compare. Nothing worse than bringing home that fancy new widget with claimed specifications only to be routinely disappointed since your real world operating conditions can't match the lab scenario your widget was tested in....

Old 09-30-2011, 12:15 PM
JETwagen
Amateur

I am surprised this hasn't been done sooner. I ask why can't ALL vehicles that claim towing capacity have standardized testing if they aren't already (i.e. vans, wagons, etc.)

Old 10-01-2011, 09:33 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its good and just like JET I'm surprised it hasn't been standardized sooner. I'm curious as to how much it will affect the Big 3, especially in the 1-ton category.

Will this also have to be standard on like SUV's and such or just trucks?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 AM
shieldsdb
Rookie

Motor Trend did something like that back in 08 or 09. It just wasn't for max weight. They tested each of the 1/4 ton trucks available. I think they pulled 3500 lbs each. Tested: 0-60 time, 35-70 time, 70-0 time with notes on stability while doing it. I think they also tested stability at highway speed over different road types. They tested everything on flat roads and inclines, plus measured trans temp, break wear and mpg over the whole test.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 AM
shieldsdb
Rookie

Originally Posted by shieldsdb
Motor Trend did something like that back in 08 or 09. It just wasn't for max weight. They tested each of the 1/4 ton trucks available. I think they pulled 3500 lbs each. Tested: 0-60 time, 35-70 time, 70-0 time with notes on stability while doing it. I think they also tested stability at highway speed over different road types. They tested everything on flat roads and inclines, plus measured trans temp, break wear and mpg over the whole test.
Damn, I didn't even answer the question. It's a good idea. Worst case, you buy a truck with a crappy tow rating, but you already know that it has it! It would save you a lot of money on repairs. Manufacture says 9K lbs, you try 8k, only to find it will only handle 6k. There goes the transmission!!! (among other things)

Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Trevor10
Default Great Idea

This is the best idea for comparing trucks because lets face it FORD blows but they say they tow as much as they do.
HA well thats my opinion anyways. lol

Old 10-08-2011, 07:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it is a good thing because most are probably lying. Just because an engine makes the power to pull something, it also has to be a stable platform and have more than enough braking. All of this in long distances and in all conditions.
Remember the old Tundra ads that showed them towing over 11K lbs?
Now their highest rated tow rating is 10K.
There needs to be a set standard and maybe even a 3rd party involved in the rating.

Quick Reply: Standardized Towing is coming; is it good or bad?