Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Intermittent Heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:05 PM
jgionet76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Heat

Hi,
I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan that blows heat intermittently. I've replaced the thermostat, same thing. The one thing I've noticed is if I rev up the engine while it's either parked or in drive, I start getting plenty of heat. I did check the fluids and it seems about 1/2 way up the rad when it's cold. The hoses do get hot. I checked the reservoir and it seemed fine too. Could it be the water pump? Clogged heater core?

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

why would coolant be 1/2 way up? it should be always full in the radiator. Just top it off, let the car warm up, and top it off again, make sure u get all air out. You could have an air pocket in heater core.

Probably a semi clog heater core too. Disconnect the 2 heater core hoses, and Stick a Gardening water hose into the heater core hose alternately and flush it out.
If you have compressed air, it would work even better.

Last edited by steak59; 09-30-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:46 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I think they mean the radiator is 1/2 cold and the other half is warm/hot. Sure it could be the water pump.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:01 AM
jgionet76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
I think they mean the radiator is 1/2 cold and the other half is warm/hot. Sure it could be the water pump.
hmm.. what baffles me is how the coolant level got so low.. I emptied a whole container of that Prestone pre-mix already in it. I don't see any leaks inside.. nor from the outside from what I can tell. It has been a long while since I last checked it.. could have been going low for a while.
I'll try adding more coolant and see how that goes.. other wise I'll try the hose/compressor trick with the heater core hoses!

thxs!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Are checking the cooling system with a pressure tester?

Quick Reply: Intermittent Heat