3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear door locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 PM
RustProofCorn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door locks not working

i have a 2006 4 door dodge ram. about a year ago one rear door lock stopped working and now just recently the other rear door lock has stopped working.. i have searched the forums without finding the same exact problem.. the only fuse i could find for the door locks works all four of them and when i take the fuse out the front locks stop working when i put it in the front locks work again. they don't work with the fob for keyless entry or the switch on the driver door.. thank you for any help

Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Presuming the manual lock works, it's likely you have one or more broken wires in the door harness.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 PM
RustProofCorn
Professional

yes you can manually work them and bummer.. can you get just the wire harness for the back doors? simple fix? ugh

Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

simple fix is to pull the rubber boot back that goes from the door to the frame and find the broken wire and reconnect the wire. don't be surprised if you break a a couple more pulling the boot back all the wires in my back doors are cracking and i wouldn't be surprised if i need new door harness soon. does your drivers side front door still work cause if not thats a different spot its broken.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:44 PM
RustProofCorn
Professional

yes driver side front door works just not the rear 2 doors

Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

yeah most likely broken wires in the door boots can be a pain in the behind if you don't take your time i just used a wire connector to connect them together.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

It's weird how it's usually the wires in the back doors that break apart first. Are they a smaller gauge than the front wires? You would think that the wires in the drivers door harness would be the first to go (unless they are a heavier gauge). 75% of the time it's only me in the truck, rarely do I have more than 1 passenger, yet I have a few broken wires in both back doors.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
HuskyJazz
Professional

Just thought I Would check. My father has an 04 Ram Quad cab and I have a 06 Ram Quad cab. My doors just started acting up. I noticed they were not unlocking with my remote. I manually opend it and tried the door switch and nothing happened. I tried it on the passenger door and again nothing happened. I got to work and they started to work. To me this sounds like a short or break in a wire or the actual hardware that send the signal to all the doors is going out. I was curious what you guys thought or where to start looking. My father's 04 has been doing this for quite some time.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
SLT07ThunderRoad
Rookie

Same problem here with my 07 Hemi Quad. Driver door lock does not work with the power, either from the door switch itself or the fob. I can open it with the key, and the manual pull **** on the door. My problem is also intermittent, as it will sometimes work with the electronics. I pulled my driver door boot back from the cab and nothing stood out, no obvious breaks in the wiring. I wonder if it is the actuator in the door acting up?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:06 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SLT07ThunderRoad
Same problem here with my 07 Hemi Quad. Driver door lock does not work with the power, either from the door switch itself or the fob. I can open it with the key, and the manual pull **** on the door. My problem is also intermittent, as it will sometimes work with the electronics. I pulled my driver door boot back from the cab and nothing stood out, no obvious breaks in the wiring. I wonder if it is the actuator in the door acting up?

SLT,

There was a TSB issued on some of these vehicles that have remote start. If you have remote start this may be the issue you are having. I have listed the TSB below. This may be a long shot since only one lock is not working, I am posting this as it sounds like others may be experiencing this problem as well.
NUMBER: 08-018-07
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: June 23, 2007

SUBJECT:
Mopar Remote Start System - RKE - Intermittent Operation Or Alarm May Sound
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the installation of a Mopar Remote Start System - Service Repair Kit.
MODELS:
2007 (DR/DH/D1/DC) Ram Truck (1500/2500/3500)
2007 (HB/HG) Durango / Aspen
2007 (JK) Wrangler
2008 (JS27) Sebring Convertible
2007 (JS) Sebring
2007 - 2008 (JS) Avenger
2007 (KA) Nitro
2007 (MK49) Compass
2007 (MK74) Patriot
2007 (PM) Caliber
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles installed with a Mopar Remote Start
Installation Kit.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
On vehicles that have had a Mopar Remote Start installation Kit installed by a dealer, the
customer may experience one or more of the following conditions:
A). ON ALL VEHICLES:
An intermittent operation of the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system. At times, the RKE
system may not function as designed. This may include intermittent operation of:
lock/unlock mode, remote start mode, or panic mode. The vehicle may be operated
manually without issue using the ignition key to open or lock the door, and to start the
vehicle.
B). ON RAM TRUCK AND DURANGO/ASPEN VEHICLES ONLY:
The vehicle alarm may sound when the RKE system is activated by use of the key FOB.

Last edited by DodgeCares; 10-06-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear door locks not working