Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Does anyone want a Dodge diesel option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:36 PM
DodgeForum Editor
DF Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone want a Dodge diesel option?

Check out the prospects for a Dodge diesel:

https://dodgeforum.com/articles/2011...ustrynews.html

Does diesel have any use in something that's not a truck or a generator?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Tagi
Amateur

I want a diesel 1\2 ton!!!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Diesel has more of a use in cars than does electric or those hybrid jokes

Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Diesel have a chemical efficiency of about 80% for fuel burned, gas only about 40% this is a no brainer. Hybrids are such a joke its unbelievable, up here it gets cold and they break all the time. The chemicals used in hybrids do more harm to the environment because of how they are mined and disposed of.
+1 on wheres the diesel 1/2ton?

Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Blankpanic

i wouldnt mind desiel all that much but before they change that they need to get it in gear with there body designs what on earth happened to the durango? going from first gen ( i own) to second gen it looked like a minivan more than a suv? and then we now get the third gen which went a little more to the suv side but still the design is no were near as good as the first gen. i have noticed all manufacturers doing the same thing i dont want streamlined / luxury crap i want a truck with power that eats ricers for breakfast and looks / sounds like it too.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

I would buy one about 4 years after they come out, new car learning curve and all. Just hope that the diesel cars are built here, and are reliable in cold weather just like my CTD 3500. Just don't build them somewhere the temperature never gets below 60* F and expect the car to run flawless at -25* F.

sprntpshr

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I think they could build a reliable diesel. I would buy a diesel car, but there's none to buy. They have uses other than trucks or generators ag and construction equipment.

Last edited by adukart; 10-07-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was in a position to buy a new car and Dodge came out with a diesel option and after a model year or so to work the tweaks out, I WOULD buy a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle that had a diesel in it. I like diesels. Never owned one but I really like the idea and how simple they seem to be.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:33 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Germany gets mighty cold and they have been making diesels for a very long time. Also, FIAT has been making diesels for their cars and commercial vehicles since the 60's. I doubt there would be a learning curve. Diesels are, by their nature, reliable and durable. I can only think of the converted Chevy 350 diesels when trying to recall bad diesel engines. In the cold, fuel gelling is the main problem and that has been solved with additives and heated tanks. The biggest problem I can see for diesels in cars and light truck applications is how efficient gas engines have become in the last 3-5 years. Do you really think it's worth 50¢ a gallon more for diesel engines if the mpg difference is only 2 or 3 mpg? I love diesels, I am(was) a diesel/heavy mechanics tech and I advocated for diesel engines for a long time. But the time of the diesel may be ending with the new efficiency of gas engines. There is torque benefits, but not so much as to make a big difference compared with modern gas engines. We will see a few smaller diesels, but it will not become common.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Not to mention the higher maintenance cost. More filters and they usually hold more oil than a gas engine.
The EPA is also making it difficult with all of the BS that they choke them down with these days.
A Diesel Jetta in Europe gets 65mpg. By the time it gets to the states, it gets 45mpg. how dirty can it be at 65mpg that it needs to be regulated that bad??

Quick Reply: Does anyone want a Dodge diesel option?