2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing chain special tool 6635

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 PM
adrenaline junky
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain special tool 6635

In the manual It says to use special tool 6635 to align and reinstall the timing belt cover. Where do I get such a tool, Dealer?

Also, I'm pretty sure not everyone goes and buys a tool (I may be wrong). A question for those that don't use the tool. How else do you align it? Can you reach all the bolts on the cover if you press the balancer on first? If not, press it on to align and tighten most bolts, then remove and tighten the rest?

First time doing this and just looking for answers before I get in there.

Thank you.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Aligning tool? I have never used one..... Put the cover in place, thread in a few of the bolts that DON'T go thru the water pump, (including the two from the bottom, for the oil pan....) run those snug.... then install the water pump, and tighten everything to spec. THEN put the balancer on.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 PM
adrenaline junky
Rookie

In the dodge manual, under the section for timing belt cover, page 9-169 it shows tool 6635. You put the seal on the tool, place it over the crankshaft, tap it into the timing chain cover and then tighten the cover down. It aligns the inner part of the seal on the tool so when you slip in the vibration dampener it aligns perfectlu with the seal.

Without it you could tighten down the cover off center of the crank and then the seal might leak.

Am I over thinking it?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline junky

Am I over thinking it?
Yes, a block of wood and a hammer will do the same thing. And if you have a minute, read this thread if you don't mind. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...leonhardt.html

Old 10-14-2011, 09:26 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've taken the timing cover off my truck a half dozen times and never used an aligning tool to reinstall. Never leaked a drop of oil from the front main seal.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:07 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a short chunk of 2x4, put my seal on when the cover was off. Set it on a flat surface, lube up the seal and the cover, use the wide side of the board and tap it down evenly with a hammer.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:05 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

adrenaline, if yuo are concerned about the seal being centered and the bolts allowing housing to be too far to one side, I would bolt cover on and visually check that shaft is centered on shaft after cover is tightened. If not, loosen and adjust accordingly. Apply grease to balance on sealing surface prior to installation, and all should be good. Even dealer service departments do not use many of the specialty tools listed in the manual.

Last edited by gdstock; 10-16-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:34 AM
adrenaline junky
Rookie

Cool, thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM
LESchwartz

Hi Guys,

I came across this thread while looking for info on the "6635 tool". The Miller #6635 also makes short work of aligning and installing the seal when the timing cover has not been removed from the engine. The tool was discontinued several years ago. My alternative for this use is to jimmy something up using a longer bolt and pieces from my ball joint set.

Larry

Old 10-31-2012, 06:13 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i thought the purpose of the tool is to align the timing cover PERFECTLY CONCENTRIC with the crankshaft so that you get a good seal. however - its not like you've got a lot of play in the timing cover...

i did mine having never heard of this tool, and it turned out fine.

if you wanted to be clever, you could slide the balancer onto the crank and into the cover before torquing down the timing cover.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 10-31-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Timing chain special tool 6635