Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Programming a Transponder Key

Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming a Transponder Key

I went to my localDodge parts counterto buy some wheel well liners. While I was there I asked the parts guy about buying an additional key. I don't know what year Dodge switched to this style of key, but mine has a remote built into the key and I know from reading the owner's manual thatit alsohas a transponder in it. So I expected it to be expensive. This kid told me it's $125 for the key and the service department needs to program it for another $40. My initial instinct was to grab him by the throat and pull him over the counter, Dick Marcinko-style. "It's just a key, you stupid kid!" Cooler thoughts prevailed, however, and I remained calm. "Let me think about the key, but I'll get the wheel well liners now," I told him.

Fortunately I found a thread on the 3rd Gen forum that discussed these transponder keys. I don't care about the remote control, I just want an extra key that will open the door and start the engine. I found a guyin North Carolina who sells keys on Ebay. I bought two transponder key blanks from him for $30. After my local hardware store cut them, I tried to program my Ram to accept the new keys by following the instructions in the owner's manual. I could not get it to work. Have any of you guys successfully programmed new keys before? Is there a trick to it?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
speakle
All Star
Default RE: Programming a Transponder Key

I did on my last truck but it was by pure luck. From what I have read some trucks operate slightly differently than others. Programming the bypass module for the remote starter used the same programming directions and I never did get that to work. My new key should be here today or tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes and if successful I will write my steps here.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:26 PM
RamBoy2500

How did it workout for you....I NEED to get my truck running! Hopefully I can do it without paying a dealer!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:23 PM
rick1
Default transponder Key Programming

How do you program a Trannsponder key for a Dodge RAM 2011 diesel

Rick1

Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 PM
rick1
Default Programming Key

How do you Program a transponder key for a 2011 Dodge Ram I have two Keys that are Prograned and will start the engine.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rick1
How do you Program a transponder key for a 2011 Dodge Ram I have two Keys that are Prograned and will start the engine.

Rick,

Keys have to be programmed to the WIN module by a Chrysler dealer using their ScanTool. The older keys were able to be programmed if you already had 2 good keys and just wanted to add more, but I am unaware of any way to do it on the newer keys.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:56 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep, on your 07, you must have 2 good working keys to program a 3rd or 4th. I got a 3rd eBay key for all 3 of my Dodges right after buying them so that I have an extra working key in-case one gets broken or lost, I won't need the dealer to program a new one.
07 Grand Caravan, 08 Ram, 09 Caliber.

Old 06-04-2023, 08:45 AM
Boprob
Default Programming transponder key

Originally Posted by rick1
How do you program a Trannsponder key for a Dodge RAM 2011 di

Rick1
how to program transponder key on 2007 dodge ram I have one working key and one cut key for doors and I want to program it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Programming a Transponder Key