1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

easy way to loosen fan nut?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM
winerig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy way to loosen fan nut?

water pump pully does not have bolts to stop the spinning when i try to loosen fan nut. trying to hold pully by hand is not working. any ideas?

Old 10-23-2011, 01:50 PM
brhodes
Professional

The easiest way (so far) I've found to do it is to take a metal bolt or rod long enough to reach above the fan, and a hammer, and give it a good ding, out close to the fan, to sort of shock the threads loose. Then, if it won't turn by turning the fan blades, find a large pair of pliers, or vice grips, and start it turning that way. It's not left-hand threads, by the way, like the idiot on the phone from the local Dodge dealer told me it was.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

when I had to replace my fan clutch I got an OLD serpentine belt (don't use your good one or it will most likely ruin it) and had someone hold it very, very tightly around the water pump pulley to hold it still while I used a very large crescent wrench to break it loose. If you don't have someone to hold the belt for you, get a cheap socket and make a bug enough notch in it so you can put the belt through it and use a socket wrench to hold it tight (my grandpap used to use this trick for holding pulleys)

Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

what that_guy is describing is a make shift strap wrench, which works very well for this, as well as a BFW (big ****ing wrench) and BFH (big ****ing hammer) to break the nut loose.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
what that_guy is describing is a make shift strap wrench, which works very well for this, as well as a BFW (big ****ing wrench) and BFH (big ****ing hammer) to break the nut loose.
+1 shrp
strap wrench... I had a brain fart when I wrote that and couldn't think of what to call it

Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

+2 on the BFH and BFW. My dad stuck a piece of scratch pad in between the belt and pulley so the pulley couldn't slip. Then just put a little extra tension on the belt using the tensioner and a socket. Then come the BFH and BFW to get your fan loose.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:10 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used a set of vise grips on the pulley and then let the VGs catch on the engine stud and turned the channel locks.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 AM
winerig

thanks guys,from proud owner of new strap wrench. i might get the next one done in half a day.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Dirtrango
Professional

I just did my water pump and what i used is an old jack handle (one with the little nu that sticks out and a hex key. now the nut will turn to the passenger side so here is what you do. take the hex key (as big as you can get to fit the pulley hole) put it in one hole and put the end of the hex key in the end of the jack handle and rotate the pulley to the passenger side (this will brace the pulley and keep it from spinning) now place your 36mm / 1 7/16" open end wrench on the fan clutch nut and give it a good quick whack twords the passenger side and bingo it"s loose. and top it all of you didn't have to fab up a special tool or spend money on one.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:33 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by Dirtrango
I just did my water pump and what i used is an old jack handle (one with the little nu that sticks out and a hex key. now the nut will turn to the passenger side so here is what you do. take the hex key (as big as you can get to fit the pulley hole) put it in one hole and put the end of the hex key in the end of the jack handle and rotate the pulley to the passenger side (this will brace the pulley and keep it from spinning) now place your 36mm / 1 7/16" open end wrench on the fan clutch nut and give it a good quick whack twords the passenger side and bingo it"s loose. and top it all of you didn't have to fab up a special tool or spend money on one.
that would be ideal except that not everyone's pulley has holes in it or bolts to hold. mine has no holes or bolts and I believe that the rest of us are in the same boat. guess you just got lucky with that

Quick Reply: easy way to loosen fan nut?