Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Misfire cylinder #1

Old 11-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Silktoxic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire cylinder #1

Hi

I just recently changed the plugs and wires in my 05 Grand Caravan and now I'm getting a misfire on cylinder #1. I pulled the plug back out of #1 and realized that it was broke. I had no choice at the time but to put one of the old ones back in. I was getting a code P 0301. I disconected the battery and connected it back on and the code went away but the problem didn't. It idles rough and shakes on start up and when I put it in gear. After a couple of minutes it seems to be fine but I don't want to take it too far in case something happens. It never did this before the plug change.
I put in Champion Double Platinum plugs. I checked the gaps and they seem to be fine. It is 3.8l V6 with about 208000 kms. It was fine before the plug change. I am at a loss. I'm not much of a Mechanic.

Any help is appreciated
Thank You

Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 PM
papaduck
Professional

Welcome to the forum.

You said the plug was broken, was any of it left in the cylinder?

The plug wire could have been damaged. If you still have the old wire try it. If that doesn't fix it then try another of the old plugs.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Silktoxic

I don't think any of the plug had fallen into the cylinder but it is possible that some dirt has fallen in. It is at the back and I just reached over the engine so I couldn't see what I was doing. I will try your suggestion plus I will also try switching the old plug with one of the new ones. If the misfire moves then I know it's the plug. If not, then chances are that some dirt has fallen in.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2011, 09:34 AM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove the wiper crowl to get better access to the back, here is how if needed
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2531517-post37.html

do you have the old wires? like said before you could try swaping the one back

Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Silktoxic

I tried the old wire again with the same results. I took the new plug out of 3 and put it in 1. Took another old plug and put it in 3. New wires back on and all seems to be well. No more shaking. True test will be tomorrow as I drive a little better than 100kms to work one way. Wish me luck.

Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Misfire cylinder #1