Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park

Old 09-19-2009, 07:23 AM
mznice17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park

Anyone else have this problem? I spoke with the dodge dealership service they advised it a common problem with the chargers and it would cost $409.00 to replace. My warranty has expired but is this a manufacture defect should'nt be replaced for free?

Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car starts, then it is just the safety lock out. At least that's what it was on mine and I have the '09 R/T.

My son was messing with my FOB and just going nuts on the buttons until the car locked up. I could unlock, lock, start the car and work everything else, but the car would not shift out of park.

Called the dealership and was told about a button. I was told to pull the rubber holder out that is to the right of the shifter. The rectangle looking one that you would throw change into or a pen. In there is a button that you can press (a reset so it is called). Push the button, then leave the car alone for 15 minutes without touching, turning on, turning off, or anything!!!! Then the reset will hold. If you mess this up, you will have to push the reset button again the next time you go to drive.

If this does not work, let me know, but also let me know the year and model of yours.

The following users liked this post:
Kimberly Duncan (10-24-2019)
Old 09-19-2009, 11:10 AM
mznice17

Thanks for the information but, it did not work. I found the so called button I tried it twice. I did however, get advise on how to get it out of park unfortunately that is only a temporary fix. I have a 2006 Charger RT. Any other suggestions?

Old 09-19-2009, 04:42 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

After reading the posts above more than likely there’s a plastic shift lever on the tranny that broke.

See attached pic, it's the pink plastic piece. You can see the break where a hole was drilled and the spring attaches through. The spring should be on a tab that is known to break.

If it's under warranty they should replace the whole shifter mechanism. Since yours is not you'll have to pay or do it yourself. I believe you can pull the center console and then the shifter mechanism, here's a youtube on replacing the defective part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QMSBpYThI

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park-shiftleverbroke.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 05:45 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Nice find/post Mango....

Old 09-25-2009, 10:11 AM
chevyguy1973
Professional

Wife called after work yesterday with the same problem. Car starts, but won't shift out of park. AAA towed it to the local dealership last night and I'm waiting to hear back from them today on how long it's going to be down. We've got the extended warranty on it though, so I'm hoping it's all covered. The Charger has been a great car, but when we got to the dealership last night, the salesman's response was oh yea, we've been seeing a lot of the lock out problem. Uh, okay.

Just got back from dealership, they've seen 8 of them this week. Said it's not a recall worthy issue, because there's no safety concern since you're stuck in park.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
toya25
Default Shift lock

My car will not shift from park. I tried pressing the pink thing and that doesn't work either. What can I do? What did the dealership do and what did it cost?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 AM
MikeEast
Professional

There is a very nice write up on the 'pink thingy' at Lxforums.com (I'll get the link shortly) and Billet Technology sells a billet replacement that will NEVER break.

If you have an LX CAR, THIS SHOULD BE A MANDATORY MOD!

Mike

edit: here is a link worth reading, pictures and everything;
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showth...ht=pink+thingy
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=73876

Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

You know, since this seems to be a problem from the start of production to now and it seems to be on every single forum, I'm going to sticky it for easy access.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 PM
toya25

Thanks alot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park