1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Serpentine Belt

Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM
dobaroy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt

Removed the a/c compressor off the Hockey Lifted 5.2 and finally got the non ac belt from Rock Auto, not very familiar with these belts. What do you slacken off to get this belt installed?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If I remember right it doesn't work that easily. You will need an AC Delete pulley to use as a mock up pulley and use the AC belt. Like this one http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...38297_0_15373_

Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 PM
dobaroy
Veteran

Well that is not the news we wanted to hear . . . we already got the a/c delete belt from Rock Auto. Maybe we will try Plan B . .

Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Since I've done this myself I'll throw my 2 cents in.
You do not need a delete for your AC since all it really needs is a shorter belt. If the one you got from Rockauto is to long then if you want to keep it a delete is an option. But IMO the most cost effective way is to go to your local parts store and test a few belt lengths to get it how you want it. I'm not sure what length of belt I put on my truck when I got rid of my AC compressor, somewhere around 90" I believe. Since as far as I know there is no way to adjust your pully/tensioner locations.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow if you want if you want to see mine. Can't right now as its dark outside.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:00 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Wasn't AC an option? So isn't there at least a belt specifically for lack of AC? I mean..if not there is a diagram under my hood that shows the belt for and not for AC so it seems like it wouldn't be hard to get a belt specifically for that.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:26 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Melody, that is EXACTLY what we thought . . . we bought the non AC belt and it is too short, we can't get it on.
Rabid, pics would be really helpful if you can find the time.
Thanks, Roy

Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Well damn that sucks lol and of all things...a belt makes a big problem haha. Lets figure this out cause I was considering doing this.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The problem is probably the brackets. You may need the non AC brackets to shift it all in the correct locations.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:50 PM
dobaroy
Veteran

Crazy, I hope you are right, we just came back from the wrecking yard but we couldn't bring the bracket home because he wanted to close early, we are going back in the morning. He has a '94 full size Dodge 5.2 with compressor removed and the same size belt we have works slick. On the opposite side he has a (factory) non a/c van, 5.2 and the bracket really looks like the one we might need. Going to take it off in the morning and I hope it will work, I really like it because where the bypass hose is now, it is hidden under the bracket but with this one the hose is wide open. By the way . . . . this guy thinks there is no other truck but a full size truck and he is very opinionated about that. He does not even have one Dak in the yard and won't even talk to you about them. lol.
On the other hand . . . at least he is a Dodge boy.
Yeah, Melody, who would have thought all this aggravation over a belt!

Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Lol right. I had enough problems just finding a good one that wouldn't squeal and that was too much haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt