2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Infinity amplifier location?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 PM
abreuma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity amplifier location?

New here. I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 regular carb short bed with an Infinity sound system. I replaced the factory radio when the display went dead. The Sony replacement rebooted itself every so often, and now I lose the passenger side speakers from time to time. I also sometimes get some bad noise out of the passenger side. Thinking my Sony radio was crap I bought a Pioneer radio. No random reboots so far but I'm still having trouble with the passenger side speakers, so I suspect what I really have is an Infinity amplifier issue.

I would love to put my hands on the Infinity amplifier in my truck but I haven't found it yet. I've been searching the internet off and on for weeks and haven't stumbled on any good clues about the amplifier location. Some sites say it's behind the passenger kick panel, but I've pulled that (it was easy) and it's not there. Some sites say it's behind the glove box, but when I pull the glove box there's still no access behind it.

Yes I know I should run wire and replace speakers. I'm not a high wattage stereo aficionado, my truck's ugly and I have about 157,000 miles on it. Before I go to the effort and expense of running wire and replacing speakers I'd like to put my hands on the Infinity amplifer and make sure I've got good connections and no obvious wiring issues. Is there a way to get to it without pulling the whole dash out of the truck? Does anyone know where it is?

Old 11-26-2011, 12:20 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine where connected to the back of the infinity speakers

Old 11-26-2011, 01:41 AM
chlngr1970

From the Crutchfield Website:
The Infinity amps can be used if an aftermarket stereo is installed. In order for amps to turn on the following must be done:

1. Connect the amp remote wire from the new radio to the BU wire on the Crutchfield adapter.
2. Connect the ground wire of the new radio to the BK/L.GN wire that was bolted onto the back of the factory radio.
Hope this helps

j

Last edited by chlngr1970; 11-26-2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Wrong year, sorry
Old 11-26-2011, 07:20 AM
abreuma

Thanks. I know there are amps on the speakers but I also assumed (maybe incorrecly) that there was some other single amp located somewhere.

Are the speaker-mounted amps specific to the speaker they're mounted to? I ask because I appear to be having trouble with the entire passenger side - 3 speakers - at the same time.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Muddytazz

Trace your wiring to see if you have a short somewhere. No there is no other amp located in a 97, just behind the 6x9 in the door. Not sure about the 6 or 6.5 in the back, I haven't looked at that one yet myself. Yes you can remove the amp from the Infinity speakers and reuse them on an aftermarket spearker with a little rewiring.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:35 PM
abreuma

Thanks.

My truck has 6 speakers (I think). One low and behind each seat, one low is each door, and one high in each door. Do they all have amps on them? I ask because the "amp trigger" wire from the back of the head unit has to find it's way to each speaker amp and if there are 4 or six amps that all need to see this signal then there's some magic happening somewhere that I haven't found yet.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:13 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 96 ext cab had amps on both front and rear speakers.
Make sure your connectors on the head unit are nice and tight

Old 11-27-2011, 07:53 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Remove the door panel and wiggle the connector on back of the speaker. I don't have the Infinity setup, but both front speakers were cutting in and out. I remove the plug and squeezed the metal tabs tighter. Plugged them back in, and they work fine now.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:55 PM
Hunter Staton
Default Help

Originally Posted by abreuma
New here. I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 regular carb short bed with an Infinity sound system. I replaced the factory radio when the display went dead. The Sony replacement rebooted itself every so often, and now I lose the passenger side speakers from time to time. I also sometimes get some bad noise out of the passenger side. Thinking my Sony radio was crap I bought a Pioneer radio. No random reboots so far but I'm still having trouble with the passenger side speakers, so I suspect what I really have is an Infinity amplifier issue.

I would love to put my hands on the Infinity amplifier in my truck but I haven't found it yet. I've been searching the internet off and on for weeks and haven't stumbled on any good clues about the amplifier location. Some sites say it's behind the passenger kick panel, but I've pulled that (it was easy) and it's not there. Some sites say it's behind the glove box, but when I pull the glove box there's still no access behind it.

Yes I know I should run wire and replace speakers. I'm not a high wattage stereo aficionado, my truck's ugly and I have about 157,000 miles on it. Before I go to the effort and expense of running wire and replacing speakers I'd like to put my hands on the Infinity amplifer and make sure I've got good connections and no obvious wiring issues. Is there a way to get to it without pulling the whole dash out of the truck? Does anyone know where it is?

i have a 98 with the infinity system I went to replace the rear door speakers and about 3 hours later I gave up as they won’t produce any sound I checked the wires from the grommet to see if it was cut in half and it wasn’t checked fuses they are all good with the two new rear speakers wired up I only get sound out of the left front door speaker. Help is needed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infinity amplifier location?