2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear?!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:41 PM
vettetrax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear?!??

Hey all, I recently purchased a 2002 Dodge Neon with an Automatic transmission. 133k miles.
It has a problem when slowing down to a stop light. It occasionally shifts hard (jerks) from 2nd to 1st gear. It does it maybe 1/3 times when slowing down near a stop.. Doesn't matter if its hot or cold.
When acclerating it shifts perfectly, also downshifting from 4-3 and 3-2 is perfect also.. only that last down shift. and two thirds of the time it'll shift from 2-1 perfect. very strange
It jerks like it doesn't want to come out of 2nd gear then shifts hard into 1st.

Fluid level is right where it should be and fluid is in good condition.

My guess would be the solenoid pack?? (I really hope its this).. I looked up prices and they can be a little pricey, so I want to gather some of your opinions on this?

Also to my understanding I DO NOT need to pull the trans pan and valvebody to remove this correct? It's just 3 bolts and it should pull out?

Anyone with ANY input on this i'd really appreciate it, at this point i'm getting a little worried about purchasing this car.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:14 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The solenoid pack sits on top of the transmission. The only thing you need to remove to get to it is the air box. Mine would randomly have the same harsh downshift. I bought the most updated version of the solenoid pack and had the TCM and PCM updated. Haven't had a problem with it since. Got the pack off of eBay for less than $100. Just make sure you are careful when removing the old gasket, to not get any into the holes or to gouge the soft aluminum that it sits on and seals to.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 PM
vettetrax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, doesn't sound difficult at all! Do you recommend me getting the tcm and pcm updated as well?? I'm assuming i need to go to the dealer for that?

Also i've read some posts about having to put the comp through some sort of auto learn? whenever you do electronic work on the transmissions like this?? is this required or is it a simple "remove and reinstall" of the solenoid pack and I should be able to drive no problem?

Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did it because there was an update for my PCM that was supposed to fix my idle issues. That update didn't do anything, but the transmission has been working great now, so, I guess in the end the quick flash/update was worth it. Supposedly you don't need the quick learn done, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

That auto learn sounds like the quick learn the dealer/a shop would use the DRBIII for. As for installing it and driving away, see above.

Quick Reply: Hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear?!??