4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission surge

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
RoadRashRon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission surge

My truck for the last few thousand miles has occasionally surged while cruising highway speeds (55-75) with the cruise set. It seems to surge foward and shift a half shift... It seems to be getting more frequent but I cant make it do it, its still sporadic. Is my convertor not locking in OD? Happened 3 times yesterday, twice at 75 and once at about 60.

Truck has 36k.

Any info would be great before I call the Dealership.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
thiggins
Professional

I also have a strange "surge" sometimes when accelerating under a very light load. Seems almost like a "slip", where the engine RPM goes up for a couple of seconds then catches and things are back to normal. Could that be the torque converter letting loose for a few seconds ? I only have 16K miles on mine.

It's not bad, but when it happens, it's noticeable and makes no sense at all.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoadRashRon
My truck for the last few thousand miles has occasionally surged while cruising highway speeds (55-75) with the cruise set. It seems to surge foward and shift a half shift... It seems to be getting more frequent but I cant make it do it, its still sporadic. Is my convertor not locking in OD? Happened 3 times yesterday, twice at 75 and once at about 60.

Truck has 36k.

Any info would be great before I call the Dealership.
What dealership are you going to deal with in upstate ny (???)

Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Patsfan
Professional

Mine does it once in a while. As I'm mostly highway, it seems to be the same while cruising at about 80-90 km/h and is sporadic. I mentioned it to the dealer when in for a recall but will wait and see if it continues before letting them touch my truck. It is the only complaint I have with this truck, so I will wait before warranty is due and if it persists I will follow up.

Quick Reply: Transmission surge