3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Front CV Shaft splines worn

Old 04-23-2009, 02:22 AM
zaphod351
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Front CV Shaft splines worn

Hope you guys can give me some cheaper advise then my garage did. My 02 1500 is making a grinding noise when shifted out of 4HI to 2HI, the cause was determined to be the right side CV shaft where it mates with the splines on the half shaft coming out of the diff are slipping due to wear. Now I have seen various posts about this that say to replace both the CV shaft and the half shaft, I can see the logic in this. The other thing worth noting here is if I drive it in 4HI for a few minutes and let things heat up a bit the splines seem to grab again and I can run back in 2WD with no noise. But if I park it overnight and let it get cold the noise comes back, going to assume expansion is a work here.

My garage wants to replace the whole front diff to the tune of $1800 for a rebuilt unit and labor and axle shafts for a total of $2800. Question is it really necessary to replace the whole diff just to change out the half shafts. Is it possible to just replace the CV shaft and leave the diff alone and still fix this problem, the half shaft shows signs of rust but it's not stripped either.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 AM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Send a pm to "Hammerz71" and he can probably help you out.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Unless there is more damage than you are letting on, you should just be able to replace the CV Shaft for a couple hundred bucks. From the little bit you've written, I don't understand the reasoning behind replacing the entire front differential assembly unless there is damage they or you are not letting on about.
Re-manufactured CV Axles are under $200 for the entire unit (inner and outer halves), so I'd go that route first. Even if you have damage to the actual differential, it would have to be either the ring and pinion (under $250) or the spiders (very low cost), so I really can't see you having to replace the whole thing, unless it exploded on you, which it obviously has not.
Find you a different shop and get a second opinion...

Old 04-23-2009, 12:03 PM
zaphod351

The resoning as they explained it to me was in order to replace the halfshafts "properly" it should really be done by a shop that specializes in drivetrains. IE my guy called a local shop the does nothing but rebuilt Engines, and drivetrain components. I don't think the general shop I took it too is equipt to repair diffs or at least he didn't want to, other than the wear on the shaft splines there is nothing at all wrong with my front diff.

Sould like I need to take it to another shop. My question was one of in general on this type of setup are the CV shafts "Generally" more prone to wear then the Half shafts, or when they do go they go together. Since this started happening I have been careful not to drive the truck much and when I do (just a mile or 2), leave it in 4WD so at least the splines arn't grinding themselves to death.

I figured I would just replace the CV shaft myself and see how it goes, I just wanted to get a feel from you guys who have been there if this sometimes works or didn't have a prayer before I did all the work.

Thanks for your input

Old 04-23-2009, 02:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

sounds to me they are guessing and wanting to replace the entire thing to make sure they get the problem. Like I said, replace the CV (both halves, it's cheap enough). If it doesn't fix the problem, have a shop open the pumpkin and do a visual inspection. Hell, even an entire ring and pinion ($225) and master install kit with bearings ($100) and the normal labor ($300) isn't anywhere near the original quote you got from the first shop...

Old 04-23-2009, 03:12 PM
zaphod351

That's kinda what I was thinking too. AT least I have conformation that $1800 is WAY to much to pay even if the diff needs to be rebuilt, and thats just for the diff itself.

I'll replace the CV's and see where things go from there.

Thanks a bunch Hammer

Old 12-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Roadkill1989
Default Thank You!!!!

First off just to introduce myself my name is Kieth... im 22 years old... have been a technician/mechanic...(round' here we are mechanics)... for about 7 years. I run my own shop... and business is great.

There are many people around my area that just throw parts at these types of jobs... This is why my shop is so successful. I research problems... my first hypothesis with this same problem was going to be to check the actuator...

Welllll since I just did my research and found this thread... I have since replaced both CV Axle's clips and all... Changed out the lube... just for a good cleaning

My customer was thrilled that his bill was less than $500, and I am thrilled that I did not have to tear into the pumpkin... I made 200.00 on the repair. roughly 145 in parts all together.

(2) CV Shafts
(2) Bottles of Gear Lube
(2) Packs of Smokes. Just because those axles did not come easily!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 AM
theice
Professional

i have a spare inner shaft if interested pm me

Old 12-10-2011, 02:02 PM
SwampDonkey440
Amateur

The cv shafts are not difficult to replace, and the work required in opening her up to replace the stub shafts is minimal, as far as typical differential rebuilds go. 1800 is out-freakin-rageous

Old 12-18-2011, 05:36 PM
kujayhawks77

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm replacing my stub shaft (the splines have been completely stripped) and a new half shaft (when the cv joint slipped off it completely destroyed it. I've got the half shaft off and am trying to get the stub shaft off now. I've got the differential cover off and can see the spider gears. I can't get the retaining clip off because of the mate(?) shaft running between the spider gears. There appears to be a hole where a screw might be to release that mate(?) shaft. Can anyone tell me what I need to use to get that shaft out? I am so close to completing this project and I have hit a road block. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Front CV Shaft splines worn