3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

06 Ram 1500 Need to replace my cluster- RPM gauge isnt working

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
ecu_pirate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Ram 1500 Need to replace my cluster- RPM gauge isnt working

Im new to the forum so I'm sorry if I do this all wrong...

I am trying to figure out how to replace my cluster for my 06 Ram 1500 (Thunder-Road). My RPM's has not been working for several months now. Took it to the shop and they told me my cluster was bad and that they would have to take it out and shipped it to the factory. Which will take over a week. Being that I have no other means of transportation, I cant do that nor do I want to pay that much to fix this. Also, I'm looking to sell this truck in the next few months. So want to try and get this resolved.

If you guys have any suggestions and/or pointers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Chris

Old 12-23-2011, 08:27 PM
CJ7 Troy
Amateur

I have the same problem. I am curious to see what replies you get. I tried changing my crank shaft sensor, it didn't work.
Good Luck. Please post if you do get it fixed and how you fixed it.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:20 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue on my 06' as well.

First, you do not have to be without a vehicle. When i asked on this forum what to do and people told me, i confirmed it with my dealer. Bring your truck to the dealer and have the service rep come out get your mileage. Then order a new cluster from the Parts department. They need your mileage so they can program it in to the new unit. Cost is a little over $300.00. And their is a core charge. Then when the new cluster comes in and they call you, drive to the dealer and pick it up and instlal it in the parking lot. It's easy. Just a few screws to take it out then it just unplugs. Throw the new one in and re-assemble, then walk back in to the dealer with the defective one and get your core charge back.

That is the cheapest way to resolve it. Do the self test on the gauges (Push and hold the Odometer button and turn the ignition on) to make sure it is in fact the cluster. If the tach needle does fail to sweep during the test, then save your time and money changing out sensors as they are not the issue.

One other tip. My tach died months ago. But, i added Techron to my fuel three weeks ago and the tach has worked ever since. Makes no sense at all. And likley it's nothing more then a bizzare cooincidence. But i am just throwing that out there.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced my cluster last fall. Here's what I did;

Went down to local Stealership and had the service technician look and record my mileage. He printed up a copy and handed it to the Parts department so they could order me a new(reman) cluster with my exact mileage. Cost for my 2008 was $295 plus $550core charge(yeah, I know right...) Anyways, I did NOT have to leave my truck there. Service Tech said "I'm not worried about the 2or300miles you could put on in 3-4business days(even though it was only 7miles..haha)

When the new one came in, I had already tore down my console in my driveway(knee cover, radio bezel, cluster bezel) so I took the starbit style screwdriver with me to the dealership to take out the couple of screws that hold the cluster in place. I walked in the parts dept and paid the $295+tax along with the $550 core charge and took the new one out and installed it(less than 10min) Once I knew the new one was going to program itself correctly, I refunded my old one for the core charge. I was afraid to hand mine in before making sure the new one was going to work. (btw, when they refunded my the $550 for the core they never refunded the sales tax, so I had to go all the way back after I got home..just an FYI to look out for)
The dealer needs your mileage and your vin#, nothing else. As a matter of fact, there was a website name on the cluster but I didn't write it down and I'm not tearing apart my truck to find it either but I did see a site online that does reman.'d clusters. I bet all you need is proof of mileage(which is asking tech dept to print you out the proof or a garage to print it out)

Buying used clusters off Ebay is not recomended as they are pre-set to auto program. Once they program to one truck, they keep all that info(supposedly from what I have been told) The dealer provides your vin# which shows the options so that the options in your truck can be unlocked/accessed. Kinda like the foglights that need dealer's to enable the circuitry in 2006+ models. It's all in the cluster.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A good thing to also do is download the service manual from my signature links below

Old 05-05-2015, 05:13 PM
braziliandude
Default got it fixed for $50

Hello guys,
I had the same issue with my truck. I did some research and found a lot of pPl with the same problem.
I also found a video on youtube where a guy takes the cluster out and do some cleaning on it and uses something to clean the chip. I'm sorry my English is not good, but if you guys look for this video on YouTube u will knkw what I'm talking about.
it's easy to do, but I decided to pay someone to do it cuz I was afraid to screw up the whole thing.
good luck !

Cost $50
Time ~45 minutes

Old 05-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Melhuishpa
Amateur

I did this about a year ago. So far it's still working.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufQ1t4eOwkM

Old 07-29-2015, 10:33 PM
TazDevil
Default 2006 Ram Tachometer Fix

I just fixed mine by following steps on attached link. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ufQ1t4eOwkM
Originally Posted by NV290

I have the same issue on my 06' as well.

First, you do not have to be without a vehicle. When i asked on this forum what to do and people told me, i confirmed it with my dealer. Bring your truck to the dealer and have the service rep come out get your mileage. Then order a new cluster from the Parts department. They need your mileage so they can program it in to the new unit. Cost is a little over $300.00. And their is a core charge. Then when the new cluster comes in and they call you, drive to the dealer and pick it up and instlal it in the parking lot. It's easy. Just a few screws to take it out then it just unplugs. Throw the new one in and re-assemble, then walk back in to the dealer with the defective one and get your core charge back.

That is the cheapest way to resolve it. Do the self test on the gauges (Push and hold the Odometer button and turn the ignition on) to make sure it is in fact the cluster. If the tach needle does fail to sweep during the test, then save your time and money changing out sensors as they are not the issue.

One other tip. My tach died months ago. But, i added Techron to my fuel three weeks ago and the tach has worked ever since. Makes no sense at all. And likley it's nothing more then a bizzare cooincidence. But i am just throwing that out there.

Quick Reply: 06 Ram 1500 Need to replace my cluster- RPM gauge isnt working