2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Has anyone gone to UNOH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone gone to UNOH?

Well I'm finishing up high school in the spring and thinking about going to college for diesel tech. I've read a lot about going to UTI, WyoTech, UNOH, etc...and most people recommend getting a degree at UNOH (university of northwestern Ohio) a lot more than going to a tech school or any other college. Obviously with any school you get what you put into it. I do well in high school; A's & B's and I don't try very hard because I'm not learning about anything that interests me. So I feel I could do well in studying diesel since it actually interests me.

I know very little about fixing' things; I can change my oil and do a tune-up, ...and I've watched someone fix my blown plenum, that's about it lol. So I'm hoping I can learn a decent amount at college.

I'm going to apply to UNOH and my local community college for diesel tech, but I'm just wondering if anyone else on here has any pros/cons/opinions on going to UNOH (or going to college for diesel in general) because it's a decent commitment considering I have to move to Ohio from Massachusetts. Anyone think I'd be better of just going to community college instead? I'm kinda torn between the two.

Any thoughts ?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:04 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A community college is usually cheaper, and they have a good program, it may serve you better. Does UNOH have a 4 yera program for diesel? If so, your community college to start and then UNOH for the last two years.

I now hire degreed professionals, but a number of years ago, I was over 150 skilled tradesmen, most of whom were required to have state certification. I was not as concerned with where they obtained their training as I was about the certifications and license (electicians, plumbers and HVAC) and of course their work ethic.

Maybe you can find what employers in your area prefer. That is who will be making the hiring decisions, thus job availability. Their preferences are not scientific - just their preference.

My dad retired as the Dean of a community college running their votech programs. I am so disappointed that so many community colleges have done away with their votech departments. Not everyone will obtain a college degree, and not everyone with a college degree gets work nowadays. But learning a good trade and obtining whatever certification is available is a good path to be on.

Good luck on your journey!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, seeing that you are from mass, there is a UTI right in norwood. great school, on the expensive side, but upon graduating from UTI you get 1k worth of Snap-On tools.

i was going to go to the norwood school, but other circumstances ended that wish.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
well, seeing that you are from mass, there is a UTI right in norwood. great school, on the expensive side, but upon graduating from UTI you get 1k worth of Snap-On tools.

So you get 2 or 3 screwdrivers? Awesome.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
So you get 2 or 3 screwdrivers? Awesome.
haha yeah pretty much... my neighbor(also former boss) bought a snap -on 1/4 drive ratchet and he paid 75 for it.... its quite redicuous if you ask me... but they are VERY nice tools!

on a side note.... my fiance works as a house keeper at a local days inn, and found a snap-on impact socket while cleaning one day... i love when she brings me home nice presents!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

its quite "redicuous" if you ask me... You got that right,

Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

wow if my keyboard keys werent sticking i would have spelt rediculous correctly....... FML, computers suck!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Snap-On prices are still "redicuous", no matter what.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
Snap-On prices are still "redicuous", no matter what.
haha thanks for making me laugh, by making fun of my spelling.... oh well, my day has just begun(sorta).

Old 01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
haha thanks for making me laugh, by making fun of my spelling.... oh well, my day has just begun(sorta).

Dude, it's 1:15 PM here in NH! LOL

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone to UNOH?