2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive conversion 4x2 to 4x4 conversion

Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive conversion 4x2 to 4x4 conversion

Well guys I mite be asking a very stupid question but after a little research it looks possible. I want to possibly make my 4x2 dakota a 4x4 dakota. I've never owned a 2 wheel drive truck and with winter vastly approaching I'm kinda doing a WTF! rite now. Is it possible? What all does this involve? I'm assuming a new transfer case, shifter for 2 wheel to 4 wheel,(id prefer to not have the *** on the dash and actually have a shifter on the floor like older dakotas and most other vehicles. Drive shaft, 4wd springs I believe in the front. What else?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:51 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know on my dakota for my front suspension I just have torsion bars and the shocks so you would have to ether figure out how to install thoes or go a different route. As for the transfer case you will have to see if it will be able to bolt to your current tranny, and the 99's have manual shifter or at least that is what mine has.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:31 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What else:

Front differential
Front driveshaft
Front spindles and hubs
CV Axles

Most likely include the upper and lower control arms too.

If you have a parts truck it'd be doable.

The spring perches on the rear diff are different on a 4x4 as well.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to sound like a smart *** but unless you REALLY like working on your truck and can all the parts for free, you really should just sell it and buy the 4wd version. Its a LOT of work and would end up costing more than the difference between selling one and buying the other.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Unless I'm mistaken, you'll need a new trans too. I'm pretty sure the trans is different on a 4x4 vs. a 2wd because of the transfer case.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

New tranny,tansfer case,drive shafts(front and rear), Front axle with the same gear ratio,control arms,new spindles,torsion bar setup. Unless you have a donor truck its not worth the hassle. Might as well throw 300-400 lb in the bed with a good set of tires and call it a day.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First of all anything is possible with enough money, time and space.

Next the way you make it sound, you think it is a possible simple bolt on swap. Toss a few springs and a front diff and it is setup, sorry it is not that easy.

The frames are not the same, the brackets are not the same. To use stock setup you will need tons of cutting tons of welding.

The easiest way is to sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd. But if your dead set on a 4wd swap, then you got 2 options.

1. SAS Solid Axle swap, cut off all suspension and steering system on the front end and CUSTOM make all the suspension and steering and brake systems. Get a driver side axle drop and 4wd transmission and transfercase. I did this swap on my 4wd check my signature.

2. Do a frame swap, get a COMPLETE 4wd frame. That is what I did to convert my 2wd to 4wd way before my SAS. It has to be the same body as yours, like single cab or club cab, short bed or long bed, same engine. Put your body and bed on top of the 4wd bed, keep your engine or use what is on there. This will be your best bet for a bolt on kit, a little tweaking may be needed. If you go this route a wrecked body but good frame is you best bet, or if you can find one with a dead engine and just use yours. I have a link in the FAQ.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:29 PM
SnowWhite03

If you have the bolt holes already in place to where everything will set, it's on!

Old 12-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SnowWhite03
If you have the bolt holes already in place to where everything will set, it's on!
Did you read the thread before you posted? It's not that simple.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:36 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A
Did you read the thread before you posted? It's not that simple.
one post wonder. Let them open the casket and throw up so this corpse of a thread can go back to resting in peace.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive conversion 4x2 to 4x4 conversion