1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Symptoms of a busted heater core?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Symptoms of a busted heater core?

What are the likely symptoms of a heater core busted/gone bad??

Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
srch4me
All Star

when you run the heater you will get a antifreeze smell. there might be white mist comming out of your vents... heat not working very well... on our year of durangoes it wouldn't supprise me that you need to replace the heater core.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

noticed a little puff of "white mist/smoke" yesterday when I turned on the heater, and I smelled antifreeze today when I turned the defroster on when I got in and the windows were all fogged up.

Guess it is time to take it to the shop and have them replace the heater core. I don't believe I am ready for that challenge.

What are the consequences if I do not replace the core immediately? I mean my heat is still really really hot...

Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 PM
srch4me
All Star

your windows will fog up really easily, you will be exposing yourself to aerisolized antifreeze and will be dangerous to drive from lack of visibility. it will be best to get this replaced. the shop is the best bet cause to replace this you must drain the freon from your AC system

Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

ugh, so we are looking at 5-600 bucks huh? dangit!!! Wonder what caused it, it was fine until I took it to grease monkey for them to change the oil.... (I watched extremely closely, just didn't have time to do it this past weekend myself)

Old 01-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Bobman
Veteran

Originally Posted by TurboStixx
What are the consequences if I do not replace the core immediately? I mean my heat is still really really hot...
Wet feet, no heat, and a smell that'll never come out of your carpet. FWIW do the A/C condensor at the same time. If the heater core is gone chances are the condensor isn't far behind, and you have to rip out the dash to get to any of it. Lots of labor time.....

Bob

Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

I have no wet feet currently!!! whew! I hate wet feet!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 PM
otgarzā
Captain

The worst is when it finally busts and antifreeze gets everywhere in your interior. Had this happen to a friends cavalier. I tackled it in two days...it was horrible having to take a bunch of stuff out just for a tiny heater core. You can avoid this by putting a by pass hose in which will leave you without heat but will save you from a bursting core or a clogged one.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional

Originally Posted by otgarzā
The worst is when it finally busts and antifreeze gets everywhere in your interior. Had this happen to a friends cavalier. I tackled it in two days...it was horrible having to take a bunch of stuff out just for a tiny heater core. You can avoid this by putting a by pass hose in which will leave you without heat but will save you from a bursting core or a clogged one.

I changed one in mid 90's sunbird(same as cavalier) only took a couple hours. I didnt take out as much as your suppose to and no I did not cut or destroy anything.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 PM
otgarzā
Captain

Most of the stuff on this car was already broken and just kept falling so i just took it all apart which made it easier. Heater core went right in and just put in the hoses and fresh antifreeze the next morning. Remember having to wait till the next day because one of the bolts on the thermo housing was so rusted...after bathing it in dw-40 it came out and i just out new bolts in afterwards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Symptoms of a busted heater core?