Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan Shift solenoid depression syndrome

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 PM
mamajettivan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan Shift solenoid depression syndrome

Hi there, I'm a newbie to the board and the world of Caravans. Okay, I'll admit it, I'm not a Dodge guy unless it's a classic. I've had people tell me to junk or sell this thing, but I really think it can be fixed properly. My girlfriend bought this 97 Grand Caravan that came with a "good" used 2000 tranny from the yard. I installed it on the ground in poor weather. I drove it a few hundered miles until it took a total dump on the turnpike. (Should have known better since the "good" transmission was growing things on it when I got it). I pulled the tranny, had the original rebuilt, and installed it. The guy told me to sell the van and be done with it, but it seems like such a nice van we hate to part with it. I put a few thousand miles on it, but had an intermittant problem with code p1776 solenoid switch latched in l-r position. This tended to happen after a lot of city driving and a heavy load uphill. Ok, in between the battery and alternator going out on me in subfreezing temperatures, I went to the yard and found a shift solenoid pack that looked pretty fresh. I would buy a new one, but who has money to throw away on a guess? I also bought a new gasket from the dealer to do the installation. Upon doing the installation I found that the new gasket was not compatible with the junkyard shift pack and the paperwork mentioned that there had been an upgraded shift pack built in 99. Ok, but I had the thing apart now and it was snowing so I figured I would put the solenoids in and just make sure it didn't leak with the old gaskets that hadn't torn. I lucked out and it held without a leak. Took it out a few times and pounded on it up some steep hills. No problems. Woo Hoo! Well maybe for a day or so. Drat! Just tonight I was climbing a steep grade with a mild load under light acceleration and the light came on. This time I got code p1775 solenoid switch latched in tcc position. By the way I also got code p0700 when these codes set also, but I understand that is normal with the other codes. So getting to the main point of my query...even though I installed a used part, it appears that since the malfunction code changed when I changed the solenoid pack, would logic suggest that the problem still lays in the solenoid pack? I'm considering on getting another one from the yard, but this time I will make sure that it is the upgraded version. Also I am very interested in installing an external cooler once the bugs are worked out. Any thoughts on that? One last thing, I really, really want to be absolutely sure that I have all the grounds and input voltages right in relation to the whole electronic transmission system. I sure could use some schematics of it. This vehicle sat for 3 years in the Pocono mts of Pennsylvania and it got a little crusty. I did clean up a few body grounds already, but I want to make sure I have covered all my bases. Any info you could provide would be quite appreciated. I'm starting to go buggy here. lol My girl's a good woman and they seem hard to find nowadays. I want to fix this right for her cause she deserves it. Thanks in advance, Jon

Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 PM
mamajettivan

Hmmmm. 102 views as of this point and no replies? Anybody home?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:49 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

There is. If you are getting a P1776 code, it could be one of two problems. One the solenoid pack assy, two the valve body. Since the solenoid pack is the cheaper of the two. I would try the solenoid pack. But if want to go by what dealer uses for testing, I do have the PDF files for you read. All I need is you to send me your email address and be glad to send it to or any other members that wish to have a copy.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM
mamajettivan

Thanks for the response. Private message has been sent.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:03 AM
mamajettivan
Question PDF files

Nothing yet, get my PM?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 AM
igorot
Angry Solenoid Switch!!

I was wondering if the same problem with my 2005 Dodge Caravan as it is when I put it on Park the illumination light reads Reverse. I was told that this is a solenoid switch or Neutral Safety Switch. I looked at the Haynes manual and it is telling me that this also a Brake Transmission Shift Interlock. This is connected to the steering colum and shifter, looks like a plunger with spring and lever attached to it. This can go wrong most of the time as inside this small black box is couple of pins with plate and grinding each other to switch around your PRD3L when you use your gear shift. My van right now is stuck in Reverse but the tranny is on Park. I guess the switch reads it on reverse and the tranny gear is on Park. I did move around the cable and disconnected it and manually shift it by the tranny and still reads Reverse, after couple of pulling the shifter cable I got it shift over the Park and started the motor, drove the van around and when I come to park it came back again and stuck in reverse. When I restart it the illumination light will blink between P and R and will stuck in R. If I turn off the ignition and the illumination light stuck in reverse I won't be able to restart the motor. When stuck in reverse and turn off the ignition and restart I would hear the solenoid or the Neutral safety switch makes a double clacking noise. I called the dealer for parts but it seems like there was also an upgrade on my van and the tranny doesn't have the safety neutral switch and they called it solenoid switch. I am just wild guessing right now and seems like it is electronic issue. The tranny is ok as I can manually shift it up and down. Any ideas for this???Your help much appreciated here.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to give you this link. There is a lot of information that you can review to compare to your problems...

http://www.newprotest.org/details.pl?1410

Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

The part is really called a TRS ( Transmission Range Sensor ). The valve body would need to be removed to replace the sensor. You can buy just the sensor with the valve body.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 PM
mister green

Hello to everybody...
I'm new at everything here....just bought a '98 grand caravan (wish I didn't, as I'm already over $250 out on what started as a basic tuneup)and joined this site --both, two days ago--never owned this type of car before... also, I've never messed with transmissions farther than replacing the filter and pan gasket.

So being the dumb guy here, I noticed this thread started with a code problem..How does one identify what and where this code is? Or does the check engine need to be on?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Welcome to DF

You are smart not dumb, You have join and a forum that have a lot of knowledgeable members that may not be techs. But ask a lot of questions to those who are techs and learn. And teach other members on what they have learn. Thats what makes this forum as great as it is. Starting in 1996 dodge, chrysler and jeep, starting to have some of the controllers to share information with each other is when a problem came up with a circuit the check engine light would come on. Such as a transmission problem. The only problem was the PCM would give and owner/member a P0700 code. That code is to let you know that there is a problem in the transmission circuit. Now you need a scanner that can read all modules, to find out what stored or active codes you have in the other modules. Now if you needed to know what the codes are, in this section before starting a new thread. You will see a section that reads tizzy and other DIY and below that you will see a list of trouble code and by year. I hope this answer your question.

Quick Reply: Caravan Shift solenoid depression syndrome