Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2004 Grand Caravan SXT Sputtering

Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 AM
George Duncan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Grand Caravan SXT Sputtering

This started happening about a week ago. I filled my tank up and got on the highway while accelerating it started to sputter, but it went away after a few seconds. Then about 3 days later my wife was on the highway and it sputtered again cruising. I took it to the shop and they hooked it up to the computer and there were no codes and the check engine light never came on. They drove it for two days and it never sputtered. I put some BG 44k in the tank to see if this would help. One day after getting the car back from the shop the car sputters while getting off the highway. What do you think it could be? TPS? It starts fine, never stalls and runs fine until it sputters. Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TPS? Sure could be. It's just as likely it's a dozen or more other things too. You could empty a bank account throwing parts at it. Unfortunately, at this point you have very little to go on. What to do?

First, I would change gas stations and run a few tanks through it. You may have gotten some bad gas. Second, try the free things first. Check sensor, plug wire and battery connections for security and corrosion. A trouble spot on 4th generation vans is the IPM (fuse box). It's got a corrosion problem. If there's corrosion on the relay connections, in particular the ASD and fuel pump relays, it's a pretty good bet there's more problems inside. Another spot is the wire harness running near the exhaust manifold on the back of the engine. I'm reading way too many threads reporting the wire insulation melts exposing bare wire and shorting to ground. It mainly effects fuel injectors.

If this continues as a very intermittent problem consider having the dealer install what's called a co-pilot. It's a scanner that monitors many engine related functions as you drive. If the sputtering happens, the data collected would at least reveal a clue if not THE fix.

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-25-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 PM
George Duncan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the late response. Well here's the deal. I have noticed that everytime it sputters it is when I have topped the gas off. I do not overfill, so it looks to be the vapor cannister. Does that mean I have to get a new gas tank? Thanks

Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be. There is a valve built into the tank that is supposed to prevent fuel from backing up into the EVAP canister as you fill the tank. To replace the valve you have to replace the tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Grand Caravan SXT Sputtering