4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 5.7 Hemi Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM
2006 Jackpot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 5.7 Hemi Blown Head Gasket

Just got word from the dealer that I have a blown head gasket. It is right at 10,000 miles. Anyone else have this issue??? 2011 5.7 hemi
The check engine light came on after it started running kinda rough. Took it to autozone (since it was Sunday) and their code reader said it was a mis fire on cyliner #7, vacuum leak.
They are replacing the head gasket under warrenty anything else I should be worried about?
Thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM
thiggins
Professional

I'd do a few VERY frequent oil changes after the fix to get any coolant or other contaminants out of the engine. Did the oil get "milky" ?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thiggins
I'd do a few VERY frequent oil changes after the fix to get any coolant or other contaminants out of the engine. Did the oil get "milky" ?
I'd use marvel mystery oil or seafoam so wash the sludge out from the valleys and walls. Oil itself won't touch the built up coolant sludge if you actually have any at all?

Seafoam, I would pour in and only run maybe 50miles. Marvel Mystery oil, you can run for an entire oil change, but I'd use it for 2-300 miles and then do an oil change.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2006 Jackpot
Just got word from the dealer that I have a blown head gasket. It is right at 10,000 miles. Anyone else have this issue??? 2011 5.7 hemi
The check engine light came on after it started running kinda rough. Took it to autozone (since it was Sunday) and their code reader said it was a mis fire on cyliner #7, vacuum leak.
They are replacing the head gasket under warrenty anything else I should be worried about?
Thanks
Only thing i would worry about, is if the stealership monkey`s did the job correctly.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would ask the mechanic why the failure occurred. Did you overheat the truck? In all of my years, the few times I had blown head gaskets, it was usually overheating. When I put my engines back together, I would take the heads and have them magnafluxed for cracks and checked for surface flatness. I would ask the service department if they did that. If they just changed the gasket, I would be unhappy.

If they can't tell you why it failed, and you did not overheat the truck, then I would be worried it would happen again.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

See it often in 4.7s that over-heat but it's relatively rare in the Hemi. I'd be curious to know what they think the cause was...

Old 01-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Capn Preshoot
Professional

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I would ask the mechanic why the failure occurred. Did you overheat the truck? In all of my years, the few times I had blown head gaskets, it was usually overheating. When I put my engines back together, I would take the heads and have them magnafluxed for cracks and checked for surface flatness. I would ask the service department if they did that. If they just changed the gasket, I would be unhappy.

If they can't tell you why it failed, and you did not overheat the truck, then I would be worried it would happen again.
Rule #1: Head gaskets do not blow for no reason

Like Pedro Dog, the only time I have ever blown a head gasket on any of my vehicles was due to overheating, i.e., broken belt, damaged radiator/coolant loss, busted hose, busted freeze plug, etc.

Aside from the others' recommendations, once you get the truck back I would want to take it to an independent speed shop & pull all the plugs (all 8) and run a compression test on every cylinder, with special attention being paid to #7. Worth the hour or so's labor it'd take.

An OBDII code of P0307 (#7 misfire) can very easily be caused by a dozen different things, one of them being a hairline crack in the cylinder head, i.e., one that you cannot see without the aid of a black light & inspection fluid. You would want to do this with the head laying on the bench, fully disassembled (valves removed). - tip, number the valves/locations before pulling them out.

See Rule #1, above

Also, any of their shop monkeys can pull it down. Putting it back together takes a well-qualified & well-experienced tech.

Last edited by Capn Preshoot; 01-26-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 PM
2006 Jackpot

Thanks for the feedback. Did not have any overtemp issue, or at least there was no idiot light or high temp reading. That was what was also causing me to ask the question on here to see if others also had the issue. Appearently this is a unique situation (lucky me!). I pick it up in the morning and I will see what they have to say about it.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats the first I've heard of a Hemi with a blown head gasket. Did you have a tuner on it?

Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 AM
09RuffRam
Veteran

our work trucks are having head gaskets redone on a reg basis. they are diesels tho. actually 4 have blown in just under 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.7 Hemi Blown Head Gasket