2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

door jam switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:52 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door jam switch

Hey guys, I recently replaced the driver's door on my 2001 regular cab ram 1500. The jam switch is now unable to reach the new door, so the chimer & interior light would stay on all the time. I stuck a small but strong round magnet on the door where it meets the jam switch, no more interior light always on or chimer, but if I hit a bump too hard, the interior light flashes at me. It makes me think a greed camera is snapping pics of my plates! I assume it is because the magnet cure is not deep enough. the panel gaps all look great & the door latches perfectly. I would hate to think that I have to remove the panel & punch out the steel from the inside to fix it, or weld on extra steel plating to that area. I know many GM vehicles have adjustable jam switches, but this unit appears to be a push in & snap into place unit with no adjustment. Anyone else dealt with this problem before? Have any ideas? I have been through the service manual back & fourth, it only talks of how to replace it, but no adjustment is shown. Help!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe the switch needs replace? Seems to me the plunger is stuck. And is the new door adjusted properly and lining up on the outside?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran

the switch is adjustable pull it and adjust it

Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
peshewa
Veteran

The door gaps all over the outside are perfect, but there is a noticeably larger gap in the area of the jam switch. Hey, mrfarrell, it looks like a push in & your done switch, with no adjustment. I did what you mentioned & it eventually slid back in all the way & stopped meeting the gap completely. I know many gm units have a threaded ring you can adjust out for such an ocassion, but this one does not. Looks like I will have to pound the door out from the inside afterall. Bummer.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you just put a gm unit in there? It seems like it would be easy to splice in. Just a thought, I have no experience

Old 02-11-2012, 05:37 PM
peshewa
Veteran

I was considering that exact option lately.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:12 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran

basicly the switch is ribbed with a center ring around it you tap this back or forth to adjust the switch..if your switch is sticking try lubbing it up and turning it first..

Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 PM
peshewa
Veteran

That is exactly the advice I was looking for! Thanks man!

Quick Reply: door jam switch