2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Happy Birthday to Me!!!

Well, as many of you know, I had a buyer lined up for the '95 2500. Well, I couldn't stand the thought of it being gone, so I ruined somebody else's day, and made my own by deciding to keep it.

I ordered a new (refurbished/rebuilt) transmission for it last monday, for a total of $1275 with round trip shipping from www.man-trans.com. They originally said it would be here on friday (yesterday) but it wasn't in stock (nv4500LD = oddball tranny) so it will be here late next week.

For anyone interested, here is the link to the thread with pictures of my original transmission carnage. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...n-go-boom.html

Also, I ordered a plethora of parts from rock auto. Fel-pro intake gasket set, timing cover gasket set, oil pan gasket, intake TTY bolts, and a Cloyes double roller timing chain set. Then yesterday I went to Sears for a 3/8" drive torque wrench and ended up with a few extras, because they were on clearance (thankfully the torque wrench was too!). Also picked up a harmonic balancer puller and an oil filter strap wrench at Harbor Freight.

Still needed is a water pump, slave cylinder setup, and possibly a new oil pump. Haven't decided on that last one yet though. Also, since I am in no hurry this time (I have the lexus to drive) I am seriously considering an e-fan conversion.

EDIT: Wh1t3NuKle has pointed out an important fact. Today is not my birthday. Neither was monday. However, my 5th birthday is coming up. I turn 20 on the 29th of Feb.

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 02-13-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait a second. Today is NOT your birthday!! LOL

Good for you brother. Looks like an awesome time to bring that **** back to the street as opposed to living vicariously through others.

You're a smart kid, so I'm sure you'll figure out your remaining items. heheh

Old 02-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Okay I edited it just for you

Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy 5th birthday when it gets here! And your truck gets the presents!

Also and inch-pound torque wrench is a necessity for anyone that does serious work on their trucks. Lots of people overlook the importance of proper torque, especially with lower torque values - but in those cases, a few extra inch pounds can be a significant percentage over or under.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Yes I agree, I need to pick one up. There were none in the sears store I visited, but I hope to find one I like online or something. I haven't searched yet.

Here's where I am right now, I am only inside to look up torque specs on the cam gear.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Nice. You are the only Leapy Baby I know. LOL I'm privileged.

Question: Why is the spider plate or yoke retainer at the front appear to be pryed up? It shouldn't be....b/c you know what it holds????

Edit: nvm...illusion and bad glasses. Its resting on the dog bone as should be. hrrr durrrr

gotcha!

Old 02-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Yes you are privilaged

Well after droppin the pan to get at THAT gasket, I looked up the price on a new Melling high volume oil pump, and decided with all else I am doing to the truck, $60 is worth it.

Other things I will be adressing that forgot to mention: valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires. I would do cap and rotor but they are maybe 500 miles old.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:16 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Well, as many of you know, I had a buyer lined up for the '95 2500. Well, I couldn't stand the thought of it being gone, so I ruined somebody else's day, and made my own by deciding to keep it.

I ordered a new (refurbished/rebuilt) transmission for it last monday, for a total of $1275 with round trip shipping from www.man-trans.com. They originally said it would be here on friday (yesterday) but it wasn't in stock (nv4500LD = oddball tranny) so it will be here late next week.

Also, I ordered a plethora or parts from rock auto. Fel-pro intake gasket set, timing cover gasket set, oil pan gasket, intake TTY bolts, and a Cloyes double roller timing chain set. Then yesterday I went to Sears for a 3/8" drive torque wrench and ended up with a few extras, because they were on clearance (thankfully the torque wrench was too!). Also picked up a harmonic balancer puller and an oil filter strap wrench at Harbor Freight.

Still needed is a water pump, slave cylinder setup, and possibly a new oil pump. Haven't decided on that last one yet though. Also, since I am in no hurry this time (I have the lexus to drive) I am seriously considering an e-fan conversion.

EDIT: Wh1t3NuKle has pointed out an important fact. Today is not my birthday. Neither was monday. However, my 5th birthday is coming up. I turn 20 on the 29th of Feb.
I have a balancer puller you could of borrowed lol

Old 02-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

That's very kind, however $15 later I have one less thing to borrow, and one more necessary-to-any-mechanics-arsenal in my arsenal.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

So what's your timeframe to complete anyways? I know you said you're not in any hurry, but just for kicks yo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Happy Birthday to Me!!!