3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Feeling every bump in the road in steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM
daterxies
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeling every bump in the road in steering wheel.

Well i finally got my front drive shaft replaced, 4wd kicks in and rides nice and not noisy now to bad Wisconsin aint seeing snow, id like to use it at least once this year now that its fixed

So now that that is off my list, anyone have any suggestions on what can cause me to feel every single bump in the steering wheel? When i bought it it was not like this, its something that's developed mostly in the past year mainly.

Last year i had my swaybar links and stuff fixed because over bumps i kept hearing clunking, clunking now non-existent, but now i feel bumps thru the wheel all the time, and not lightly either.

thanks.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daterxies
Well i finally got my front drive shaft replaced, 4wd kicks in and rides nice and not noisy now to bad Wisconsin aint seeing snow, id like to use it at least once this year now that its fixed

So now that that is off my list, anyone have any suggestions on what can cause me to feel every single bump in the steering wheel? When i bought it it was not like this, its something that's developed mostly in the past year mainly.

Last year i had my swaybar links and stuff fixed because over bumps i kept hearing clunking, clunking now non-existent, but now i feel bumps thru the wheel all the time, and not lightly either.

thanks.
Have you checked the struts and all the steering joints?

What did you end up doing for a drive shaft?

Old 02-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a number of things, tie rod ends, tie rod inners, wheel bearings, strut mounts, internal pressure valves in the rack have failed, intermediate shaft.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does your steering wheel trying jerking out of your hand?

Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by daterxies

thanks.
KEY QUESTION: how many miles/what year

Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 AM
daterxies
Rookie

The wheel doesn't jerk, you can just feel all vibrations through it. It's a 05 and just rolled 90k miles

Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Mine was doing that and it was one of the tie rod ends I buggered up when installing my leveling kit. Lesson learned. Dont use a pickle fork if you want to re-use a tie rod end (or a ball joint). Replaced the tie rods and it went away.

Quick Reply: Feeling every bump in the road in steering wheel.