3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how to bleed abs "system"

Old 09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
dash80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to bleed abs "system"

I am changing my abs module/pump and have found direction on replacing it but it says to bleed abs system. Is that just each wheel in the particular order or is there something else I need to do at the master cylender end?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This is what I got from the Srvc Man.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - ABS BRAKE BLEEDING

ABS system bleeding requires conventional bleeding methods plus use of the DRB scan tool. The procedure involves performing a base brake bleeding, followed by use of the scan tool to cycle and bleed the HCU pump and solenoids. A second base brake bleeding
procedure is then required to remove any air remaining in the system.

(1) Perform base brake bleeding,(Refer to 5 - BRAKES - STANDARD PROCEDURE) OR Refer to 5 - BRAKES - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
(2) Connect scan tool to the Data Link Connector.
(3) Select ANTILOCK BRAKES, followed by MISCELLANEOUS, then ABS BRAKES. Follow the instructions displayed. When scan tool displays TEST COMPLETE, disconnect scan tool and proceed.
(4) Perform base brake bleeding a second time,(Refer to 5 - BRAKES - STANDARD PROCEDURE) OR (Refer to 5 - BRAKES - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
(5) Top off master cylinder fluid level and verify proper brake operation before moving vehicle.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:58 PM
bprb61
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the HCU located? I just replaced the calipers, rotors and brakes on my 2004 dodge ram 1500 4x4, (with ABS) and i have tried bleeding the brakes following the basic method and still have no pedal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to bleed abs "system"