3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hemi Swap 1yr Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:39 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hemi Swap 1yr Plan (05 to 07 Dakota)

In the last year I have become quite addicted to the idea of more horse power and I'm not sure if there will be a limit to this addiction. I'm definitely going to do this, it's just a matter of when at this point. I hummed over super and turbocharging but in the end I decided that my best option, and one that will ensure that I will be able to continue adding power over the following years (due to after market support) is to do a hemi-swap.

This will be a slow build, or rather a build that may not start for some time. I am by no means, an expert. I am certain I will take longer than the builds of others due to lack of funding, experience, and an abundance of procrastination... but once the swap is complete, I will have the beginnings of a hemi powered monster.

This thread will be a place where I will put all the information, links, and anything else I find that is relevant to the swap. I also hope others will add to this thread if they happen to find any infos, or have suggestions for those who want to do the swap. For now, I do have some good infos.

A lot of questions have been asked about how hard it would be to do a hemi swap and all I can say for that is.. it depends. I'm 2wd, so I shouldn't need to modify the oil pan, and it also makes wiring a little easier. The oil pan part is a huge thing, though, for 4wd swappers, it will need to be sectioned and probably have the pickup tube extended.

Wiring is the part that most people have been worried about it seems. I don't think it will be that bad actually. A small number of 4.7 to 5.7 swaps have been done and for my model year, the 4.7 PCM will control the Hemi with a tune from hemifever (He says the 5.7 PCM handles fuel deliver better though.) According to what has been done on Dusty05's swap, it's just a matter of changing most of the connectors on the 4.7 engine harness to the connectors that the 5.7 uses, and extending those that don't reach. I am certain that, with the wiring diagrams, wiring will be fairly easy. Here is his thread on another site.

Transmission won't be a problem, the V8 Dakota uses the same transmission that is behind the Hemi, the 545RFE. I may just need a different torque converter I think, which I will be doing anyways since I want a higher stall.

Motor mounts will need to be made. This is a part that I have no confidence in yet and would appreciate any input that anyone has. I have never welded before but I have some friends that can. My plan is to drop the engine in, bolt it to the bellhousing, take some weight off with a jack, and then mock up some mounts with wood or cardboard and make them out of steel. I think I will keep the plate that mounts to the hemi and the plate that mounts to the frame, and do custom from there. Probably solid...

For motors that will stay compatible with the 4.7 computer, there are a few. Not sure which once aren't compatible, but the ones that are have been Ram motors from the 03-06 range with the 8th vin digit being a D (Vin D or EZA.) From what I have gathered, an MDS Vin 2 or EZB motor should work just fine, but MDS won't work without using the whole 5.7 PCM. I'd prefer to stay with a "Vin D" because there are mods made to the "Vin 2" motors that won't be applicable without MDS. Newer motors (09+) with VVT would need the Hemi PCM too, I'm not quite willing to swap out the whole computer just yet, as I am not sure how simple or hard it would be.

I've got more, can't think of it right now. But any input from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Update section, so people don't have to read the whole thread...

Some conclusions (for now) about the swap.
My truck is an 05 2wd.
My hemi motor is an '06 EZB (MDS) vin-2 motor.
I got a wiring harness from an '05 ram w/o the injector/intake harness attached, supplied 3 of the connectors I needed; crank position, cam position, and alternator sensors.
I was able to get a coolant temp sensor and an oil pressure switch from a 2005 dakota to match up to my original 4.7 harness. The So those 5 things where all that were different. Some items will also need to be extended and relocated within the harness. EGR is in the opposite spot on the 5.7 as it is on the 4.7, but a simple set of blockoff plates and the tune from SCT tuner takes care of that without harness modification. But otherwise you have to splice and lengthen 6 wires.
The 4.7 PCM has limited tuning abilities, so if you want to go ***** to the wall on horsepower, it's a good idea to go stand-alone or undertake the huge project of changing to a 5.7 PCM. I am sticking with the 4.7 PCM for now, we will see how it works out.
You will need rummage radiator hoses to fine a fitting one, the Dakota and Ram hoses don't bend in the right ways. I will update this with more info when I get to that part myself.
A/C lines can be "massaged" to reach.
2wd trucks will need NO oil pan mods with a ram oil pan, this means 4wd models will need small modification.
With a 4wd truck, a simple custom block plate will need to be made for the drivers side. Passenger side motor mount bolts up with a minor modification to the bolt hole. All other parts are 4wd 4.7 engine mount parts. 2wd should switch to 4wd mounts to make things easier.
If you have an 07 Dakota, you will need to swap to 06 or 05 PCM for tuning purposes. Or go full blown hemi PCM swap.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 AM
varnerhba
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does a 6.4 have the same motormount location? if so you can use the same ones i use :-D

Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Once u buy the first expensive part you are commited!!

One advice I could give you is to try and buy everything that you think you will need before starting the build to minimize down time.

This build is awesome. Im going to follow it closely with the hopes that one day i will do it myself as well!!

@

Old 02-21-2012, 11:57 AM
clayh
Professional

Didn't the Durango have a hemi option? Don't the Durango/Dakota share a common patform? Could you use the wiring harness and motor mounts from a Hemi Durango?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Originally Posted by clayh
Didn't the Durango have a hemi option? Don't the Durango/Dakota share a common patform? Could you use the wiring harness and motor mounts from a Hemi Durango?
same transmission too i believe. I would love to see a manual swap while you are at it =D

Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker

Charlie's pan fabricate a oil pan that will clear stock cross member...how about carb this hemi?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:42 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clayh
They do have the option infact, it's something I'm going to look into when I start to get down to business. It would be only for the benefit of engine mounts though, the wiring harness will be pretty much the same as the Rams but possibly with shorter leads. Dusty05 used a Ram motor, used 3 of 4 bolts with no mods on one side and had to modify the other side. Looks like it shouldn't take too much.

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
same transmission too i believe. I would love to see a manual swap while you are at it =D
Same trans for sure, but I'm pretty sure the durango engine bay has more in common with the ram than it does with the dakota, at least 04+ dur vs 05+ dak. yet to be decided though. I'm not going to go with a standard. I love them, and if I did it would be a T56. But I am thinking of putting in a stage3 sheradon at a later time.

Originally Posted by Dakkkota
Charlie's pan fabricate a oil pan that will clear stock cross member...how about carb this hemi?
I shouldn't need to mod the oil pan since I'm 2wd, we shall see. As far as carbing, the swap in general is illegal in my county so I'm trying to stay as low profile as possible, I will even get a quieter performance exhaust to keep it on the downlow. It's still going to be legal as far as I'm concerned, I mean, I will still have cats, 02 sensors, and I shouldnt have any codes after the swap. Not to mention, the hemi is more efficient than the 4.7 so I can't see a reason for this law, it's just a mere technicality.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

So sick, I wish I had the time/funds to do this project as well :/ In the meantime, you should take really good care of your frame and paint from rusting since if you do a Hemi swap you'll probably have this truck for awhile

Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't rebuild an oil pan , It's easier to notch the cross member and leave the oil pan stock..

Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is awsome. If my truck didnt have to be done before march 11th and i didnt just buy a 4700 dollar tool box I would be doing hemi swap instead of just throwing in a 4.7 h.o And if your comftirble with a wiring diagram im sure it wont be bad at all.
Good luck

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap 1yr Plan