Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

rear heat

Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM
blu2u
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear heat

I just bought a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 van, v-6, 60,000 miles. It has a rear heat **** (switch). When I turn it on, I hear nothing, nor do I see where the heat would come out in the back. Would there be a switch that is non-functional?
blu2u

Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blu2u
I just bought a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 van, v-6, 60,000 miles. It has a rear heat **** (switch). When I turn it on, I hear nothing, nor do I see where the heat would come out in the back. Would there be a switch that is non-functional?
blu2u
A B1500 SWB would not have a rear unit due to the location being the c-pillar. The B1500 SWB c-pillar is the rear door support. There is no place to have the rear HVAC unit there.

Is the van a conversion van? Then it's possible there is something located in the rear. Usually for a Ram Van B1500 conversion, it's under the sofa fold down seat in the back.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:24 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

I have a 99 Dodge B1500. My wheel base is 127" and it is a conversion van.

This is the setup for the rear air/heat. The power switch for the rear air/heat is on the dash. If there is one in the rear I have not noticed yet but I also have not really looked. The rear air/heat unit is mounted just before the rear door on the drivers side wall.

Since you have a SWB Van, your set up might be different depending on who did the conversion.

Jason

Old 03-02-2012, 12:22 PM
blu2u

It's not a conversion. Rear heat switch on the dash, but I guess that doesn't work anything. Is there a way to get heat/air to the rear?
blu2u

Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by blu2u
It's not a conversion. Rear heat switch on the dash, but I guess that doesn't work anything. Is there a way to get heat/air to the rear?
blu2u

The best way to find out what you have it to write down your Vin# and go to the local dodge dealer and get a printout of what your van originally came with.

That will tell you whether or not your Van had rear heat and air included or not.

The other thing you can do is climb underneath the van and look for heater hoses that would run from the front to the rear of the van. If there are, then will be able to follow them to find the heater core and fan that will be back there if you have rear heat. There should be two hoses.

I personally would start with the dealer.

Unless you bought the van new it's very possible that someone could have changed your dash panel or its also possible that they used the same panel for all the vans that year whether they had rear heat / rear air or not.

Like I suggested, I would start with the dealer and your Vin number, and then you will know what your Van actually came with, when it was built, the model of the trans, and pretty much anything else you wanted to know about its original equipment.

Last but least, if you wanted to add rear heat, I am sure if you did a search, you might find a conversion kit or two that are out there. You can also check junk/salvage yards for vans that have a rear heat unit installed. Keep in mind, if you go the junkyard/salvage yard route, you could end up with a unit that has a leaking heater core, or bad fan motor included.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear heat