Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Now I have really done it,...I think

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM
radstorm
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Now I have really done it,...I think

Greetings all. I have a 1988 dodge ram van // b250. Today I was replacing wheel cylinder rear drivers side due to it leaking, and replacing brake shoes also. Well one of the bolts holding the wheel cylinder wouldn't let go so I beat it with a sledge until it let go. Anyways, in the process of my frantic moment..I hit and bent the anchor pin. The pin above the wheel cylinder the brake shoe springs hook to. So I tried to gently bend it back.. but unfortunately it just broke off. Can this be drilled out and replaced with a new pin, or am I totally +++++ < ?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

That pin is responsible for holding the brake shoes in place and it takes a significant load when braking. Mounting it correctly is nothing to fool around with. To be completely safe, you have to replace the entire backing plate.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 AM
radstorm
Rookie

Thanks for the reply alloro. Yes I was guessing that would be the case, just replace the whole thing. Fist off I will have to find one, guess it's salvage yard time. The other thing is how do I replace it..there is no how to in my manual on the subject, nor have I found any instructions online..tons of stuff on just brake jobs, but none covering that repair.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

You're going to have to drain the differential, pull the cover, and remove the axle for that side. You'll have to remove the brake line and the e-brake cable, but after that the backing plate just unbolts from the axle housing. Considering you're that much into the rear end, I suggest pulling the other axle too and replacing the axle seal on each side. If you don't and they start leaking in a while, you'll be kicking yourself for not replacing them now.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Also while you got it that far apart, make sure you inspect the axle bearings as well.

When you refill the rear end do not forget to put in the additive if your's requires it.

Jason

Quick Reply: Now I have really done it,...I think