2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

PLEASE HELP! Car sputtering when idle, then revs up real fast...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
kiikyo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! Car sputtering when idle, then revs up real fast...

2003 Dodge Neon SE - Automatic

My car has been having this issue for 7mo. I have taken it to two mechanics who still can not figure out the source of the problem.

The car drives normally about 70% of the time. However, some days, I will start the car and it will sputter as it is idling in park and sometimes stall. When it doesn't stall, I will put it in drive and it will drive VERY slow for about 10sec, even when I am pressing ALL the way down on the accelerator, then it will rev up suddenly very fast. After that, it will drive normally at high speeds. Occasionally, when idling at a red light it will start sputtering, shaking, and the lights will flicker on and off (headlights, radio lights, etc). Then it will rev up while I am stepping on the brakes and move forward slightly... it;s kind of scary, especially when there is a car in front of me. Very rarely it will stall instead of revving forward..

The check engine light is on.

The codes are:
P0132
P0456

I have changed the O2 sensor twice... to no avail. I have added cat cleaner to the gas tank...

My tags are about to expire and I really need help troubleshooting this issue.

Is it electrical? Is it fuel related? Is this a common Neon problem? Is it easy/inexpensive to fix?

ANY help is appreciated... thanks!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

P0132- O2 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank1, Sensor1)
You say you've changed the O2 sensor twice, but have you traced the sensor wiring back to make sure it's not damaged? It happens.

P0456- Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected
Could be a faulty gas cap, but it could also be a cracked EVAP hose. The most common one being one of the ones coming off of the carbon canister.

As for the weird performance, we'll have to work at a few things at a time and then move to another. Let's start with these:

1. When was the last time the spark plugs and wires were changed?

2. Since you are having electrical issues, is your battery good (load tested and passed)? Are the battery terminals and posts clean? Terminals are tight? Battery wires aren't corroded in the factory crimps? Any corrosion in the relay/fuse box in the engine bay?

3. The accordion tube that goes from the intake manifold to the throttle body is completely on both of those and the clamps are tight? There are no cracks in any of the little "valleys" on that tube?
A vacuum leak will cause erratic idle/performance behavior.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 AM
JET_Fusion
Default Idle Air Controller & Vacuum Leak

The stall/sputter behavior sounds like problem with the idle air controller. I'm new to Neon's, but on my Dakota, there's a voltage test for it (google it). Typically, when the IAC is bad it'll not run at idle or lower rpms or during deceleration because the computer cannot correctly add the micro air adjustments needed to maintain idle.

The P0132 code may really be a vacuum leak masquerading as an O2 code. Vacuum leaks can be found around hoses or seals. A can of brake cleaner or carb cleaner and a little care while spraying and you can probably find it.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 PM
ek2588
Veteran

my neon was doing something similar years ago. sounds like you got a vacuum leak somewhere. mine would idle high and want to move forward, even with my foot on the break. i don't remember if it was breaking up tho. ended up being a small hole in the "accordion tube" that connects the intake manifold to the intake. hope that help's

Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 AM
rogerthat94

Your problem sounds somewhat similar to a problem I had with my Neon. They are fairly different problems, but I figure I'll share my solution anyway, just in case.

MY car shook a lot when idling in drive. The shaking would stop when I put the car in neutral. It turns out there was a technical service bulletin which called for updating the software on the TCM so the car would idle faster.

Perhaps this is part of your problem?

Old 10-07-2018, 12:54 AM
lodhe54

MY dodge van is a bit older at 1994. I had a lot of the same issues you say here. I had to replace my EGR valve and the PCV. I had to replace my oxygen sensor in the throttle body and pipe, also the throttle position sensor TPS and that helped a lot. I just also finished replacing the clutch fan which help me with acceleration and cooling. replaced ignition coil, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor and spark plug wires. Replaced a few bad circuit boards too.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Car sputtering when idle, then revs up real fast...