2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 to Cummins

Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Npost05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10 to Cummins

I have a 1998 Ram 2500 V10 and I want to put a 12v Cummins in it. What do I all have to do to do this?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 PM
mccart
Veteran

Just sell it and buy a cummins. Lot less of a headache

Old 03-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

12v swap could be fairly simple. Find a way to trick the computer enough to get the gauges and interior switches to work, swap in the mechanically injected 12v, hook it up to the temp gauges and tach, and you're set. Your v10 trans will bolt up to the 6BT just fine, and the motor mounts are the same as well.

Is your truck an NV4500 or an auto trans? Got any pics?

Also, for future reference it is easier for people to know what's going on if you fill out your signature with the info from your truck (and a picture if you'd like). Just go to the UserCP link at the top left of the page, and find the edit signature link. Welcome to the Dodge Forum.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Npost05

Thanks im new to this. I have a 1998 2500 ram V10. It has a AT in it. The V10 motor is missed up I have true duals no cats and the drivers side is burning really rich and the other side its sucking in like. When you take the oil fill cap off its sucking to and im getting pressure in the crank case. Any ideals on what might be wrong or is it better to pull it and put a Cummins in it.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Npost05
Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Seriously, you need to price an ECM or whatever that gen computer is called. Then price a new wire harness and then see if you will need a new cluster to hook the harness to-the diesel and gas engines have different sensors that monitor totally different engine and tranny processes. After you figure out what those will cost, guesstimate how much time to pull the old engine and install the new and how much time to plumb in the new harness(which can take far longer than the engine R&R). The double your $ estimate and quadruple your time estimate and you will be close to how much time and money you will be into the swap. Then compare how much you can sell your truck for and how much a Cummins of the same year will cost and you will find just buying a Cummins truck complete will be far cheaper.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:18 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel bad about asking these questions Npost. When I first joined I had owned a an Iroc, and you can pretty much swap any old engine in there rather cheaply. However, Chrysler makes it hard and EXPENSIVE to do the same. Not to mention performance parts costs for our trucks.

When I first joined, you were very limited in performance upgrades, and the ones that existed were very expensive. You pretty much needed to do a cam swap to get any noticeable increase.

Now, there are more parts, and they are relatively popular so you are not paying for their weight in gold like in the early-mid 2000s!!

Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Don't feel bad about asking these questions Npost. When I first joined I had owned a an Iroc, and you can pretty much swap any old engine in there rather cheaply. However, Chrysler makes it hard and EXPENSIVE to do the same. Not to mention performance parts costs for our trucks.
Uh, not really. I have switched a 6.4L diesel to 5.7 in a 1985 Chevy pickup and it was difficult, expensive and the whole damn thing had to be re-plumbed. Any diesel-gas or gas-diesel swap by any manufacturer is going to be expensive and difficult. My ***'s smoke detector went off reading that line there.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Free Range

I dunno if your allowed to post links to other forums on here, but a guy on the cumminsforum did this very same swap with almost no trouble. About the only things that he changed were keeping the diesel toque converter for a lower stall and changing the dash gauges. Keep in mind the 12v PCM only runs your gauges, battery charging, wait to start/grid heaters, water in fuel, air conditioning and automatic tranny shifting, everything else is mechanical. Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PCM problem is that he has a '98. They put out a few 12v's in '98 with the newer interior design, but they are quite rare. Maybe that PCM would still be easily acquired, i dunno. Course, maybe it doesn't matter! Would an older PCM still run all that stuff? Other then that I see no reason this couldn't be done fairly easily/inexpensively.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V10 to Cummins