Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How can I remove the @!#%!^$@&! WIPER ARM?!?!?!?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I remove the @!#%!^$@&! WIPER ARM?!?!?!?

I'm not easily exasperated by many things, but getting the wiper arms off of the studs (after removing the nut, of course) on two Grand Caravans (2003 & 2006) is a TOTAL complete PITA!

I'm using a two-arm puller made for this task. It is similar to the one shown in this post here but, instead of using a ratchet to turn it, mine has a metal bar handle. The handle is starting to bend. I've taken a rubber mallet to both arms, used a hammer and metal punch on the washer "holding" the arm on the stud, soaked the washer with Kroil, but these buggers just will not come off without a major fight.

If anyone has advice to try something I have already thought of, please let me know!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Raise them up from the windshield to their snow storm position before using the puller. The penetrating oil should help. Keep the nut on somewhat to have a surface for the puller screw to work against. I have always been able to get them off without the trouble you are having.

This Thread again: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2531517-post37.html

Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Dan400Man
Professional

I saw that post and noticed that the puller was from Harbor Freight. Luckily, we have one in town, and I got there a few minutes before they closed tonight. But it must not be my day, cuz I left my wallet at home.

The puller I saw at Harbor Freight is definitely a heavier duty unit compared to the one I have. The surface that pushes against the stud is beveled to a point, and I have a slight concern that it is more apt to slip off the stud. But now I think I know what you mean by leaving the nut on the stud loose, cuz if I have it sit a bit higher than the top of the stud, that will prevent the point on the puller from slipping off of the stud.

Not sure why my experience with the wiper arms on two different GCs has been so bad compared to yours. I know the 2003 GC never had the arms off before I attacked them at 100k (since we bought it new). Not sure about the 2006 GC, since we bought it 6 months ago. Do yours ever go 100k miles (several years) between wiper arm removals? Maybe living in Michigan with the winter road salt is compounding my problem?

I'll try Harbor Freight again in the morning, this time with my wallet.

Thanks for staying with me on this one! It's very much appreciated!

Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Dan400Man
Professional

BTW, I thought it might be useful to paste below what you suggested in the spark plugs thread in case someone searches the forum for "wiper arm" and finds this thread. I'll definitely take a look at the pcv valve and the coolant lines once I get the wiper tray off.

Other things you might want to consider while the wiper tray is removed and everything is opened up to do a good job:
- wiper motor and hoses
- pcv valve.
- valve pan cover gaskets.
- power steering hoses and pump.
- spark plug wires. I have Champion on my 2002 and they have performed great for three+ years now.
- looking at coolant lines, maybe need a mirror to help there as there is one is typically tucked in close to the back side of the engine. They can rust out and be a bear to remove.
- applying Fluid Film rustproofing especially to any steel coolant lines or rusted areas or clamps.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 AM
TJeepman
Professional

Windshield replacements helped me I think. Those guys will loosen up the wiper arms for you and may not even charge you, just buy them a coffee.

A wallet helps, even for buying coffee.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Dan400Man
Professional

Brilliant idea! Not sure I'll find one today, but I gotta get those plugs replaced today. Definitely keep that in mind next time.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:04 PM
TJeepman
Professional
Thumbs up

Good luck with the job.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Dan400Man
Professional

The difference-maker was the heavy-duty pullers I got from HF. The wiper arms came off with a bang, but I had 'em off in less than a minute. Assembing the puller tool took more time. Can't remember when I bought the lighter-duty puller, but was pretty sure I bought it for getting the arms off of the old GC. Piece of junk. Heavy-duty is a must for wiper arm pullers!

Old 06-20-2014, 02:51 PM
timheavin

I have an 08 Grand Caravan and can't get the wiper arms off. Should a two arm puller work on it, or is it different? Thanks.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

same set up on the '08

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How can I remove the @!#%!^$@&! WIPER ARM?!?!?!?