3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold Air Intakes

Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Libtech
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intakes

I am looking at buying a used AirRaid Cold Air Intake for my 2005 Hemi. The guy said he paid $300+ for it and is asking $120. He said its simply installation just the box and filter and uses the stock piping? It doesnt sound like you even need to remove the Hemi Hat, does that make sense?

I thought he best ones to get for the Hemi were new piping and you end up removing the Hemi Hat?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Libtech
I am looking at buying a used AirRaid Cold Air Intake for my 2005 Hemi. The guy said he paid $300+ for it and is asking $120. He said its simply installation just the box and filter and uses the stock piping? It doesnt sound like you even need to remove the Hemi Hat, does that make sense?

I thought he best ones to get for the Hemi were new piping and you end up removing the Hemi Hat?
You did not mention what engine size you have, but looking on the Airaid website at 2005 Dodge Ram (I put 1500 5.7 in the type) these are the models i came up with:

http://www.airaid.com/ProductSearch.aspx

It seems many of them come with no piping at all and do cost over $300 so i would say they guy sounds like he is honest. And that price is fair. My suggestion is buy it, then order the Airaid Modular Intake Tube which sells for about $120 for a 5.7 version and $110 for a 4.7 version. That tube will replace all the stock intake piping including the Hemi Hat. You will end up with a full Cold Air Induction kit from Airaid. But if you opt to keep the stock setup, you will still be fine. Unless you are running headers and ported heads/intake and a high flow throttle body, the Hemi Hat and stock tubes are not going to be an issue.

And if you decide against buying this filter from the guy, LET ME KNOW! Ill buy it at that price!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Link without tube -
Part # 300-125-1
Price: $269.99
http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ctID=300-125-1

Link w/ tube
Part # 300-150
Price: $369.99

http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=300-150
Product install pic.

Last edited by SLT8; 03-13-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by SLT8
One that required a tube that i got off good images. 03 5.7.
That tubs is the same as the MIT (Modular Intake Tube) i bought for my truck. It's nice they sell it seperatley so people can remove the Hemi Hat and keep the stock air box, or down the road they can upgrade to a full CAI. Nice design.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Libtech
Rookie

Yeah I have a 5.7. Its that one you show in the picture. Is it a CAI though? That seems like its open design to the engine bay so it will just suck in warm air?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by Libtech
Yeah I have a 5.7. Its that one you show in the picture. Is it a CAI though? That seems like its open design to the engine bay so it will just suck in warm air?
That is classified as a CAI. The shroud is designed to keep the heat away as does the rubber seal against the hood.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know what the technical distinction is that makes a CAI a TRUE CAI, but in the Official Book of Hammer, if it's not pulling air directly from outside the vehicle it's not a true CAI. To me if it's snorkeled or a Vararam it's a true unit and what most everyone (me included) has is basically taking warm air - just more of it.

I like the Vararam but for me it's not an option, where it gets it's air from I often have water up to.

To the OP, $120 is a good deal, but you can still make one that's just as effective and have half that in it and that's using a better filter besides...

Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I don't know what the technical distinction is that makes a CAI a TRUE CAI, but in the Official Book of Hammer, if it's not pulling air directly from outside the vehicle it's not a true CAI. To me if it's snorkeled or a Vararam it's a true unit and what most everyone (me included) has is basically taking warm air - just more of it.
I agree. I was simply pointing out for marketing purposes, that is classified as a CAI. But both of you are right, if you are drawing air from the engine compartment it's NOT cold air. Adding a giant free flowing filter to the same location in the engine compartment the stock airbox was is not going to miraculously give you colder air. In fact, the stock airbox would likley be better at giving cold air since the intake snorkel on the stock air box is directed towards the fender area. The bottom line is it's all marketing lingo. The reality is these "Cold Air Induction" systems are actually "High flow induction" systems. They certainly flow more air then stock, but colder? No.

I had a true CAI in my 06' Impala SS. The filter was mounted outside the engine compartment behind the front bumper. So you were never getting hot engine air. The trouble was, any time their was a heay rainstorm with big puddles on the highway, i would blow out my MAF Sensor. After the third time, i removed the CAI and just put a larger filter in the engine compartment corner. I noticed very little difference in power. The maybe 5 -8 HP i picked up from colder air was not worth the price and aggrivation factor of having to replace sensors from water damage.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Guess mine is considered a true CAI with the sacrifice of air conditioned air lol.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Libtech
Rookie

That's why I am wondering to be honest. The stock box pulls cold air from the front of the truck, not hot air under the hood.

If I put this AirRaid unit on, that isnt ducted from the front any longer I assume, which means is can move more air, but it will be hot air now.

Is it worth it? On top of that, I would gather I need to replace the piping to the throttle body as well and remove the hemi hat to get the most benefit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes