3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Dodge Ram Won't Start

Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 PM
big_will74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Ram Won't Start

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 that will not start. Currently the vehicle is at the auto shop and they still cant find out the issue. The issue has happened twice of which the last time the vehicle has yet to start in over two weeks. This is what occurs. When I turn the key in the ignition nothing happens. All the necessary start up lights come on however the gauges do not work. the lights radio and everything else works. Also ive noticed that the gear shift selector (square that illuminates whether your in park, drive, neutral etc) is not present. When the key is at start I can also move the gear shifter out of park without pressing the brake. Cannot do this normally. The first time this occurred we had the tow truck come and as we were pushing the car out of the driveway to put on the truck (had a hard time turning the steering wheel to get it line up with the tow truck) I heard a chime and the gear selector square appeared. I immediately was able to move the steering wheel with no trouble at all and I was able to start the vehicle. I immediately took the vehicle and had it placed on a machine at the dealer to diagnose the problem. The main thing that came up was the Front control module. As I was awaiting the part the vehicle did it again. This time we were not able to replicate what we did by pushing and turning the wheel. Had the vehicle towed to the dealer and they tried to put back on the machine and no codes registered. They changed out the front control module and still nothing. Ive seen many who had the issues previously but have yet to see what has caused this. Please help

Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 AM
big_will74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found out the issue. the remote start i had since buying the truck became loose and burnt out some ignition wires. had the remote start removed and the wires replaced. the FCM was working but still firing some issues when checked so i replaced that also. have had no issues since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram Won't Start