Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

FWD Tire Rotation, Why Different From RWD

Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 AM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FWD Tire Rotation, Why Different From RWD

Front wheel drive calls for moving the fronts to the back and crossing the rears to the front.
Rear wheel drive is the opposite.

Why? It seems the same thing is being done. Help me understand.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:13 AM
TJeepman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the Tire Rack site on tire rotation: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43
All that goes out the window if you have "directional" tires.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 AM
2therock
Veteran

Yeh, I seen all that. What makes me curious and the fact I cannot find an explanation of is, whats the difference. In FWD and RWD you take two tires and move them together to the back and cross the ones that came off.

I don't see the significance of why FWD has to be different than RWD, they are being rotated.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't different. You take the drive tires and move them either fronm or back, and then you cross the others. The above link shows it pretty clearly.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
2therock
Veteran

I'm wondering what the problem is with a FWD in crossing the drive tires to the back and bringing the rear tires forward.

Sorry for the stubbornness, but I just want to know the engineers reasoning.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:20 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you talking about? You literally are making a mountain out of a mole hill here. It is no different, you take the drive tires (the ones driving the vehicle) and move them to where they arent being driven by the car (the ones that dont drive the vehicle) I don't get what there isn't to understand here? Its actually a pretty simple thing.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
TJeepman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2therock
I'm wondering what the problem is with a FWD in crossing the drive tires to the back and bringing the rear tires forward.

Sorry for the stubbornness, but I just want to know the engineers reasoning.
Appears they want the "drive tires" from the opposite corner during rotation. That's a better rotation than the non drive tires get, but then again most wear is on the drive tires so they should get some special consideration. Each rotation then keeps the tires moving around real good that way. It takes 4 rotations for a tire to be back where it started from.

If one did an X rotation, then at the next rotation the tires would be at the spots where they were the time before.

The criss cross is on the drive tires so they get the benefit of a bigger switch over. Non drive tires tend to go along for the ride.

Nothing is cast in stone though, and tires can be rotated based on wear characteristics. If a rear tire has been running low on air for awhile, it may show more wear than the other tires. Doesn't make sense to move it to the front as that won't balance the wear out.

Okay, the answer to your question may be this:
Modern radial tires can - and should - be cross rotated. The theory behind the FWD / RWD difference is that when a tire comes off a drive position, it will have a little heel and toe wear. This type of wear can be noisy if the direction of travel is reversed. Keeping the tire on the same side will cause the heel and toe wear to gradually wear away, so that when it is cross rotated, the wear pattern will not cause a noise - or at least minimize it.

Last edited by TJeepman; 03-16-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 AM
2therock
Veteran

Heh, Thanks. Mole hill eh. Not me, that's all you.

I have FWD and this tire pressure monitoring system that has an easy sensor location mode that will move them in the same manner as a RWD rotation with a single press of a button.
If I rotate them in the suggested FWD manner I have to reprogram all the sensors individually.

So....... I wonder.......... If I rotate my FWD tires like the RWD illustration, what is that screwing up? Not much it looks like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FWD Tire Rotation, Why Different From RWD