3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

4 wheel drive will not engage

Old 03-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Iceman78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive will not engage

My 06 Mega cab. gas hemi.The 4x4 light just flashes.What would be the best way to troubleshoot?

Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

Sell for 500$ to me? Haha. Mega cab would be great, need the extra room

Buy a 3865 -

Does it flash all the time? Does it flash only while in 4x4? Electronic or manual 4x4?More info please

Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Are you stopping and putting it in neutral before you switch to 4low? Only 4hi is on the fly.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Check the lines going to the solenoid on the front axle. Half shaft might not be engaging all the way.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

From the book:

The LED's in the selector assembly are illuminated/flashed in the following manner to indicate a particular condition or state.

• A solidly illuminated LED indicates a successfully completed shift and the current operating mode of the transfer case. While a shift has been requested but not yet completed, the LED for the desired transfer case position is flashed.
  • A flashing operating mode LED for the desired gear indicates that a shift to that position has been requested, but all of the driver controllable conditions have not been met. This is in an attempt to notify the driver that the transmission needs to be put into NEUTRAL, the vehicle speed is too great, or some other condition outlined (other than a diagnostic failure that would prevent this shift) elsewhere(Refer to 08 - Electrical/Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Drivetrain Control (DTCM) - Operation) is not met. Note that this flashing will continue indefinitely until the conditions are eventually met, or the selector switch position is changed, or if diagnostic routines no longer allow the requested shift.
  • If the driver attempts to make a shift into transfer case NEUTRAL, and any of the driver controllable conditions are not met, the request will be ignored until all of the conditions are met or until the NEUTRAL select button is released. Additionally the neutral lamp will flash, or begin to flash while the button is depressed and operator controllable conditions are not being met. All of the LED's except the Neutral will flash if any of the operator controllable conditions for shifting are not met while the Neutral button is depressed. This "toggle" type of feature is necessary because the TCCM would interpret another request immediately after the shift into transfer case NEUTRAL has completed.
  • No LED's illuminated indicate a fault in the transfer case control system

Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hammer nailed it once again.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Iceman78
Default 4 wheel drive problem

It is electronic 4x4.Tried in park,in neutral,in drive going 3-5 miles an hr.Will not engage in 4x4,just flashes 4x4 hi.I tried 4x4 low not engaged.No neutral light not lit on 4x4 control ****.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman78
It is electronic 4x4.Tried in park,in neutral,in drive going 3-5 miles an hr.Will not engage in 4x4,just flashes 4x4 hi.I tried 4x4 low not engaged.No neutral light not lit on 4x4 control ****.

This is why I made my dealer bring in my truck from across the state - a search only found ONE Laramie package truck in the entire state sitting new on the lot with a good, old fashioned floor shifter.

Electronic transfer cases are a b*tch to diagnose.

It could be a solenoid, the shift actuator, shift motor or as simple as an 0-ring seal that's causing a loss of vacuum so it can't shift...

Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 PM
pony6088

hey man, i had the same problem. climb under your truck and follow the wire back from the diff. and make sure the wire harness is fully connected. mine had pulled apart just a little and prevented it from locking. i just replaced the harness and everything has been fine since. see if this is your problem BC i bet it is.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:39 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Try saying the magic word

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive will not engage