Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan won't start

Old 03-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Theresa Root
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan won't start

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand caravan 3.3L. We replaced the water pump, air filter, and did an oil change last weekend. Monday through Thursday the van started and ran great. This morning I tried to go to work and it won't start. It sounds like it is trying to start, but won't actually start. Pumping the gas does not change the sound of the starting at all. I know there is spark coming from the distributor and I know the spark plugs have spark at the other end. My guess is a fuel problem. What puzzles me is that it ran fine when I turned it off last night. I have never had a problem with it not starting until this morning. What should I check first and what are the possible problems?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the top of the list would be the fuel pump mounted in the fuel tank. Check the fuse and verify the relay clicks when the engine cranks. As you turn the key to on/run the pump turns on for a second or two. Can you hear it? I don't think there's a test port on your engine so checking pressure with a pressure gauge on your engine is a challenge. AutoZone or like stores will loan you a fuel pressure gauge. You'll need an adapter to connect it.

BTW - The 3.3 ltr engine doesn't have a distributor. Pumping the pedal doesn't work on a fuel injected engine. An old trick. Smack the tank with a mallet while cranking. It can sometimes bring a pump back to life.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-23-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Theresa Root

Ok I went out and checked again. The relay clicks and I can hear the pump.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Theresa Root

Turns out the noise was not the pump. After having someone else turn the key. It was determined the noise was some other humming. The fuel pump was not making noise. After getting some help, we believe that it is the fuel pump. Now we need to get onto replacing it.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Ok. For insurance verify you're getting 12vdc at the pump connector. Did you try the old trick with the mallet?

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-24-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 PM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of us who haven't yet had to encounter this... What's the old trick with the mallet?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by maxbaby
For those of us who haven't yet had to encounter this... What's the old trick with the mallet?
Read post #2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan won't start