Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-07-2015, 12:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

Cost to replace serpentine belt?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:40 PM
foladar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to replace serpentine belt?

(This was the prior post: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...e-caravan.html)

About two months ago we had a sound under the hood, it lasted a few weeks maybe, but just started to come back again. Would it possibly be a serpentine belt? There's a video on the old post of the sound, but it's much more louder now, I'd call it a high pitched whine, maybe a little hollow?

Is it dangerous to run it until the belt goes bad, or could we be doing damage by still running the vehicle and should get it checked out asap? The only place around here is Pepboys and they're expensive.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The noise is just annoying, probably not causing any damage. Make sure the cowl drain tube is connected on the passenger side, water leaking from there onto the belt can cause it to whine also.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
TJeepman
Professional

Originally Posted by foladar
(This was the prior post: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...e-caravan.html)

About two months ago we had a sound under the hood, it lasted a few weeks maybe, but just started to come back again. Would it possibly be a serpentine belt? There's a video on the old post of the sound, but it's much more louder now, I'd call it a high pitched whine, maybe a little hollow?

Is it dangerous to run it until the belt goes bad, or could we be doing damage by still running the vehicle and should get it checked out asap? The only place around here is Pepboys and they're expensive.
Any auto repair shop should be able to replace a serpentine belt. It's a fairly easy job.

High pitched whine could be something else, like a worn alternator or tensioner bearing. A good Mechanic should be able to pin point the source of the noise using a stethoscope. Do you do any repair work yourself?

Any possibility it's a power steering whine? Do you hear it once up to speed?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 PM
foladar
Amateur

Originally Posted by TJeepman
Any auto repair shop should be able to replace a serpentine belt. It's a fairly easy job.

High pitched whine could be something else, like a worn alternator or tensioner bearing. A good Mechanic should be able to pin point the source of the noise using a stethoscope. Do you do any repair work yourself?

Any possibility it's a power steering whine? Do you hear it once up to speed?
I don't do any repair work myself, I'm pretty useless when it comes to car stuff. The sound's still there once we're up to highway speeds, though, the road noise seems to drown it out.

When we're accelerating, it seems to get slightly louder as if's because we're speeding up, but then maintains the sound throughout the drive. It use to "die out" in terms of sound, but now it's just annoying and loud.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Could be a bearing. It would be prudent to get the noise pin pointed as to source asap.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
foladar
Amateur

Originally Posted by TJeepman
Could be a bearing. It would be prudent to get the noise pin pointed as to source asap.
Are those expensive? I'm trying to hold off since we were going to get another used car and get rid of this one since the mileage is like 225k, but every time we're close to being able to afford something, another problem comes up and it's always 400+ when we take it in.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Depends. Won't know until the source of the noise is located. A breakdown on the road will cost though.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 PM
foladar
Amateur

Since it's much louder now than it was last time (January) I've taken another video, though keep in mind it's also in a garage so there's an echo.

http://tinypic.com/r/nqo26u/5

Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 PM
foladar
Amateur

I'm gonna take the vehicle in tomorrow, since the sound is pretty bad as seen in the video. Any ideas if it is likely causing damage though?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 PM
TJeepman
Professional

My guess is the tensioner bearing but they should be able to determine the source in less than 5 minutes and may not even charge you for that.
For parts, one option is to get the parts yourself, hopefully at a savings, and have someone do the installation.
Labor should be in the order of one hour say for an alternator, two hours max for say a power steering pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cost to replace serpentine belt?