2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulstar Pulse Plugs: Copper, Plat, Iridium?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulstar Pulse Plugs: Copper, Plat, Iridium?

I am going to be getting a set of these plugs, but i don't know which ones people recommend for our trucks.

Copper 9 bucks each
Platinum 13.45 each
Iridium 13.45 each

I know that Cmckenna has them in his truck from his sig, but i don't know which ones.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
I am going to be getting a set of these plugs, but i don't know which ones people recommend for our trucks.

Copper 9 bucks each
Platinum 13.45 each
Iridium 13.45 each

I know that Cmckenna has them in his truck from his sig, but i don't know which ones.
I use the yellow band model- Iridium.

CM

Old 08-02-2010, 01:28 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

yellow band...got it. iridium it is then.
THANKS!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Be sure to give us an honest review of them, and not "I spent $100 on plugs they're the BOMB!"

If they're the bomb I totally want to know, but I'd love as detailed and objective a review as possible, please.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Be sure to give us an honest review of them, and not "I spent $100 on plugs they're the BOMB!"

If they're the bomb I totally want to know, but I'd love as detailed and objective a review as possible, please.
i agree with aim, im getting close to needing a plug change i have ngk iridiums and like them and aim say the v-powers are better so i think im going with the v-power unless you have a better honest review lol

Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

no, no, I think you misunderstood.

I think the NGK irdiums are better than the V-powers, but not $5 a plug better.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:18 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Well, after 2 years of kicking the can, I ordered the plugs from autozone. BTW autozone has an online special where they will give you a 15 dollar gift card with every 100 dollar order. They sell the pulstar iridiums for 12.99 each (9.99 for plat). Free shipping on every order over 100 dollars.

I am also doing a cap and rotor change SO I will change the cap and rotor, drive for a couple days, then put the plugs in. Right now I am running the accel u-groove copper plugs from the truck tuneup kit. I did a tuneup 2 years ago and about 6K miles ago (Yeah I don;t need to drive very far to work, and I have a motorcycle).

I will give you guys a fair review. If they are not noticeable, then i will just smile at the fact that they come with a lifetime warranty. SO, for 12.99 per plug, they will pay for themselves as I intend to drive my truck until I cannot fix it anymore myself or the cost of repair is over the trade in value of the vehicle. With only 55K miles, she has a long life ahead of her. Forget rust, Zeibart has my back on that!!! I have 5 years left on my extended warranty (or 45K miles) so the tranny should not be a huge problem as they tend to have problems at 70-90K at the earliest.

I will add to the thread when I install them

Old 04-05-2012, 12:19 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

BTW, how do you degree spark plugs? I forget the general direction they are supposed to face. I figure I should degree the plugs this time around.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
BTW, how do you degree spark plugs? I forget the general direction they are supposed to face. I figure I should degree the plugs this time around.
The idea is to get the flame/spark in front of the intake port in an unobstructed way. That means the little electrode goes on the opposite side with respect to the intake port.

Did you order some indexing shims? I'd guess on a V8 like we have there may be some noticeable ponies lurking for those who are willing to go through the hassle of doing it.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Put a mark on the plug (use a sharpie, or some such) on one side of the electrode, where you can see it with the plug screwed all the way in. (doesn't matter which side, open, or close, just be consistent, if on the open side, mark should be toward intake valve, if on the closed side, mark should be toward exhaust valve.) Note where the mark is when the plug is properly torqued, then just use some shims to move the plug further out, so that your electrode is pointing in the correct direction. Tedious, but, does indeed have some benefits. Whether you will notice or not? Open to debate.

Give it a shot, would be interested in your results.

Don't suppose I could talk you into screwing them in, running it for a while, getting an impression, and THEN indexing the plugs, and see if it seems any better??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulstar Pulse Plugs: Copper, Plat, Iridium?