3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 Ram 1500 1 low beam not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Silverstreak21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Ram 1500 1 low beam not working

Hey guys,

I have read a lot about FCM, etc etc, so I have searched haha.

What is happening with my truck:

1) In Canada low beams are on for daytime running lights, both low beams work in daytime running mode.

2) The problem: At night as soon as I rotate the light switch at night, I lose my passenger side low beam. Both high beams however work.

So I have ruled out:

a) I do not need a new light bulb.
b) I have power to the low beams in DTRL.

My thoughts:

This could get expensive.

I bought this truck 2 weeks ago used from a dealership, and got the whole, truck has passed all specs with flying colors etc etc. I am really hoping they help me out, but they are called Stealerships for a reason.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I can go if they come at me with a $1000 quote?

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstreak21
Hey guys,

I have read a lot about FCM, etc etc, so I have searched haha.

What is happening with my truck:

1) In Canada low beams are on for daytime running lights, both low beams work in daytime running mode.

2) The problem: At night as soon as I rotate the light switch at night, I lose my passenger side low beam. Both high beams however work.

So I have ruled out:

a) I do not need a new light bulb.
b) I have power to the low beams in DTRL.

My thoughts:

This could get expensive.

I bought this truck 2 weeks ago used from a dealership, and got the whole, truck has passed all specs with flying colors etc etc. I am really hoping they help me out, but they are called Stealerships for a reason.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I can go if they come at me with a $1000 quote?

Thanks!
Silver,

The DRL's run off the high beams at about 50% intensity. You may just need a new bulb.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

From the manual.

DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS

Vehicles manufactured for sale in Canada illuminate the high beam filament of both headlamp bulbs at a reduced intensity when the engine is running, the parking brake is released and the exterior lamps are turned OFF. The TIPM must be programmed appropriately for this feature to be enabled. Once enabled, anytime the TIPM receives electronic messages over the CAN data bus from the PCM indicating the engine is running and from the EMIC indicating the status of the headlamp switch exterior lighting input is OFF and that the parking brake is released, the TIPM provides a pulse width modulated voltage output to the proper headlamp bulb filaments through the right and left high beam feed circuits to produce illumination at a reduced intensity.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Leeroy
Default Any answers for this problem ?

Hey guys I am new to the site and have exactly the same problem described in this thread but with a 2007 , 2500 SLT 6.7 TD Quad Cab.

I have daytime running lights on both sides
I have high beam on both sides
I have low beam only on the drivers side

The bulb has been changed twice with the second one being swapped into the left lamp to confirm it works , this has rule out a bulb problem.
Initially it appeared to flicker on and off for a short moment and then quit completely.
I have also ruled out a short or wire problem with the lamp harness.

Am I possibly looking at a dimmer switch problem here ?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well your truck does have the TIPM system, so there might be a problem with it.

Are you also getting a "bulb out" indicator?

If you are you can try to pull and C-Codes to help point you in the right direction to an electrical problem. Get C-Codes by pressing and holding the trip meter reset button on the gauge cluster and then turn the key to the "on" position.

Write down and post the codes EXACTLY as they appear, if you just get a set of zero's right away then there aren't any codes.

Next step is to get a multimeter and check the actual harness of the headlight for voltage and current on both the low and high beams on both headlights (make sure they match). Post up what you get (if anything) for each circuit (high beam and low beam) for each headlight.

Do you have HIDs installed or is this the OEM headlight system?

Lets start with that stuff, and go from there.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Silverstreak21

Originally Posted by Izero
Well your truck does have the TIPM system, so there might be a problem with it.

Are you also getting a "bulb out" indicator?

If you are you can try to pull and C-Codes to help point you in the right direction to an electrical problem. Get C-Codes by pressing and holding the trip meter reset button on the gauge cluster and then turn the key to the "on" position.

Write down and post the codes EXACTLY as they appear, if you just get a set of zero's right away then there aren't any codes.

Next step is to get a multimeter and check the actual harness of the headlight for voltage and current on both the low and high beams on both headlights (make sure they match). Post up what you get (if anything) for each circuit (high beam and low beam) for each headlight.

Do you have HIDs installed or is this the OEM headlight system?

Lets start with that stuff, and go from there.
The dealership had to flash my computer, bulb was toast but did not show up on indicator. After the flash, it worked fine.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was the last step after we checked things out...

Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by Leeroy
Hey guys I am new to the site and have exactly the same problem described in this thread but with a 2007 , 2500 SLT 6.7 TD Quad Cab.

I have daytime running lights on both sides
I have high beam on both sides
I have low beam only on the drivers side

The bulb has been changed twice with the second one being swapped into the left lamp to confirm it works , this has rule out a bulb problem.
Initially it appeared to flicker on and off for a short moment and then quit completely.
I have also ruled out a short or wire problem with the lamp harness.

Am I possibly looking at a dimmer switch problem here ?
Glad to hear the problem has been resolved.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
greg1980lisa
Default 2007 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab

Hello, I have a dim light out on left... I changed the bulb and still not working... What else is wrong?
Thanking You...

Old 11-26-2013, 05:25 PM
greg1980lisa

I checked the code on my truck and got.... 5 35
= 315
c 542
can you tell me what this code means?

Quick Reply: 2007 Ram 1500 1 low beam not working