1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Something is wrong, can't pinpoint it.....

Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Something is wrong, can't pinpoint it.....

Ok I'm stumped. Recently I did the kegger mod and fixed the plenum. It was really bad, completely blown out in two spots and consumed about 2 quarts in 500mi. Now I know I need a new IAC but it feels like the timing is off when the peddle it all the way down. It has a noticeable miss-fire when accelerating at 1/8-1/4 throttle in 4th gear and I have lost 10mph in the 1/4 mile (embarrassing cause my buddies tuned blazer can now keep up). It shutters between 2500-3000rpm at WOT and just won't go past 3000+ rpm (those with 5.9's now the awesome power in this range). The exhaust smells rich, possibilities I have thought of:

1) Fouled Plugs (will be checking these on thursday)
2) Original coil could be going bad
3) O2 sensor (original, truck has 168k now and all that oil burned recently)
4) Cam sensor

And of course NO CODES!!!!!!!!! Typical eh? I need this truck in tip top shape cause I feel guilty otherwise, all help and suggestions appreciated.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Russ50
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say check out the timming on it an with that many miles an if ya been pulling good size loads with it then Ya mite need to put new timming chain an gears in er,,

Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

I've thought of that but it happened within the 4 weeks prior to and 2 weeks since the plenum fix. Distributor?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
DomsDodgeDingo
Professional

Well if you know you need a new IAC Id start there...

Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

Kensai and I were messaging back and forth not to long ago, he seemed to almost have the same issue he had, with no CEL. He replaced the Map sensor an said he gained a lot of response and a little power back. Maybe look into it, and replace the IAC.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

I know this might sound stupid...but did you reset the PCM when you finished all that work?
I would replace the MAP and IAC and then reset the pcm and it should run new...Well hopefully.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you have the dist out when you replace the intake manifold gaskets? If you did, you maybe off a tooth.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Yes I reset the PCM right after the work was done. No the distributor was not removed or touched during the intake repair. I should have mention just put in new wires, cap/rotor, and tps in the last 1000miles. Plugs only have 15k on them. Not to sound stupid but is the MAP the same as the cam sensor or am I totally confused . I may be making a parts run on weds per your guys suggestions, thanks again

Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The timing is controlled by the PCM and can not be adjusted.

The MAP sensor is on the front of the TB...the flat looking plastic piece. I'm assuming you also cleaned your TB while you had the intake off for repair. The most overlooked item that really needs to be checked and cleaned on the TB is the vac ports...the small one that leads to the MAP sensor and the other larger one to the evap system. Spray carb cleaner and compressed air will normally work fine.

If you were burning that much oil I'd say your O2 sensors are shot and your plugs are covered in black crud. Even though there's no codes all that oil on the tips of the sensors will give false readings and the PCM will dump fuel into the engine.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No the distributor still has to be on the right tooth so that the PCM can advance and retard the timing, so yes it can be "Indexed" but it not quite timed like older vehicles. I have a thread in the DIY that illustrates how to do it. http://www.dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-...er-please.html

However I think you should replace your spark plugs. Go get some Cheapo Champion Copper plugs and gab at .040 before install. 15K on a set is good to my standard for those plugs, not to mention that you burned that amount of oil with them so you probably have deposits on them anyway. Also give it a Seafoam Shot in the fuel tank to help clean the cylinders and valves, also good for injectors anyway.

Lastly look at the CAT and see if it is red when at full operating temp, if it is it could be partially blocked because of all the oil burned.

Also a new before CAT sensor is waranted, you should have one on each down pipe. I buy them at www.rockauto.com and get the OEM style. I only buy the Desno or the NTK, usually I only get the Desno as they are 2-1 priced there. Search for coupons and you can get 5% off at checkout to help with shipping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Something is wrong, can't pinpoint it.....