2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

OBD scanner suggestions?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
safrantz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD scanner suggestions?

Any suggestions on the best OBD scanners to purchase?

I know you can typically take your vehicle to a parts store borrow their scanner to pull codes, but what about those times that you cannot use a parts store scanner? E.g. you cannot get your vehicle to the location because its throwing a code and the vehicle won't start? Or you just do not want to shell out 50-75 bucks for an diagnostic just to find that your emissions o2 sensor has malfunctioned and you live in a state that could care less? I've been thinking about investing in a nice scanner, I would appreciate opinions and suggestions on all brands and types.

It may turn into something that I take with me when I look for vehicles to flip/repair with friends (lucrative or not.)

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought mine at napa, advance sells the same ones too. its an actron, i have zero complaints about it, and it does everything i need!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Torque Pro app on my Android phone and a bluetooth OBD II adapter. Works great and cost WAY less than a regular scanner. App is less than $5 and the adapter about $20. I have used it on several different vehicles and it works great. In addition to reading/erasing codes you can also get a ton of real time info as you drive. Was talking to my ex father-in-law last week and showed him the app after he was showing me his new scanner he just got on sale for $150. After he tried my Torque app out he was kicking himself in the a$$ for spending that much on his.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM
safrantz
Professional

Originally Posted by PapaG
I have the Torque Pro app on my Android phone and a bluetooth OBD II adapter. Works great and cost WAY less than a regular scanner. App is less than $5 and the adapter about $20. I have used it on several different vehicles and it works great. In addition to reading/erasing codes you can also get a ton of real time info as you drive. Was talking to my ex father-in-law last week and showed him the app after he was showing me his new scanner he just got on sale for $150. After he tried my Torque app out he was kicking himself in the a$$ for spending that much on his.
This sounds nifty, got a pic of the adapter? Or link? I'm researching it now - is there anything that you've come across that you would need a standard OBD II reader? Can it read OBD as well?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 AM
Prototype
Rookie

Originally Posted by safrantz
This sounds nifty, got a pic of the adapter? Or link? I'm researching it now - is there anything that you've come across that you would need a standard OBD II reader? Can it read OBD as well?
Here's an Amazon link to the adapter I use with Torque Pro. Works really well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I paid $22 back in February.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

OBDI uses a different connector, so, you would have to find a bluetooth dealywinger for it as well. Not sure if the torque app would support it though.

If you have a laptop, you can download free software, pick up a cable for less than 50 bucks, and have access to all SORTS of information from your PCM, including logging capabilities......

Or... you can get snap-on 2500 scanners from ebay for a couple hundred bucks. (nice toys.)

Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For OBD-I, just jump the wires with a paperclip and count the flashes of the check engine light. Or does that only work for GM?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for those reading this WITH a OBDII rig: there is no need for torque pro.. just use the free app.. torque pro's extra features does no good for our rigs..

Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
for those reading this WITH a OBDII rig: there is no need for torque pro.. just use the free app.. torque pro's extra features does no good for our rigs..
This is true, but for $5 I figured it was worth it just so I wouldn't have to deal with ads. Lol. Does the free version have the logging option?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 PM
2003 Dodge Neon Sxt

Order the Actron off Advanceautoparts.com and get a great discount.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD scanner suggestions?