4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 4.10 gears

Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
spinxracer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 4.10 gears

I have a 2012 ram 1500 5.7 and I want to install 4.10 gears. I talked to the dealership and they said that they have the parts to do it. It's a 4x2. He told me I could do it but I would run into a problem with it throwing codes. I currently run the 3.55. What's sensors would cause these problems to throw codes and is what he telling me true about it throwing codes? Thanks

Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

He's either lying to get the work or he doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground. IMO stay clear of that place...

Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
spinxracer
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
He's either lying to get the work or he doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground. IMO stay clear of that place...
So your saying nothing would throw codes and that the gearing would be cool for my rig. The whole kit will cost me around 740 from the dealership. But he did admit that it would be first time in the service department and he wasn't sure. He said he is certain that it would throw codes. And I was like the rt 1500 come standard with those gears. What the rt has a performance tune in them? I have a express. I found a local shop that only work on trucks and he gave me a pretty good price on the install. Just the damn gears is what cost

Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran

Codes????

Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 PM
spinxracer
Rookie

Originally Posted by newmexicoram
Codes????
Yeap he said codes. Something with final drive speed, input shaft and revolutions and going be different. Saying ecu/PCM not going to pick up the same reading. throwing things out of wack

Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spinxracer
Yeap he said codes. Something with final drive speed, input shaft and revolutions and going be different. Saying ecu/PCM not going to pick up the same reading. throwing things out of wack
For the money they want to charge you, they should know for sure and not be so unsure!
The final drive output of the transmission is the same regardless of what comes after it! The tone ring is responsible for vehicle speed output. There is nothing that would effect either one as far as I know. I have never heard of anyone doing a gear swap having a problem.

I do know that if the final drive output speed from the tailhouing is a percentage difference than the input shaft, you will throw codes, but there is no coorelation betwen output shaft of transmission and it "communicating" with the tone ring for output speed of the truck. I'm almost certain they are 2-isolated readings for your PCM.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:52 PM
huntergreen
Professional

i would not let any shop work on my dif if they can't answer basic questions.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 PM
spinxracer
Rookie

thanks for replies i am looking forward to the swap in the near future. ill keep ya posted

Old 04-21-2012, 12:36 PM
holydiver89
Amateur

If you go from 3.55 to 4.10's the axle will spin faster with 4.10's causing speedo to be off, and the tone / exciter pickup ring for ABS sensors are on the hub so if the axle spins faster, so will the hub and it will give inaccurate information to the ECU, POSSIBLY throwing a code. I do know that programmers such as Superchips Cortex offer features that can reprogram gear swaps and tire size changes.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:56 PM
spinxracer
Rookie

Originally Posted by holydiver89
If you go from 3.55 to 4.10's the axle will spin faster with 4.10's causing speedo to be off, and the tone / exciter pickup ring for ABS sensors are on the hub so if the axle spins faster, so will the hub and it will give inaccurate information to the ECU, POSSIBLY throwing a code. I do know that programmers such as Superchips Cortex offer features that can reprogram gear swaps and tire size changes.
thanks i saw the tune from superchips for the tire or gear change. i would now just call superchips and see if there tune will support my year model. it has it advertised that it will but they dont have a tune to do any performance mods yet. that leaves me wondering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 4.10 gears