Dodge Nitro The Dodge Nitro is a sporty mid size SUV that bound to turn heads where ever it roams. The Dodge Nitro is one fun ride!

2007 Nitro 4.0 Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 AM
JakeBooze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Nitro 4.0 Timing Belt Replacement

Hey guys/gals, just dropped off our Nitro for the 102,000 mile insp./replacemant... Just got the call from service saying that to do the inspection they need to disassemble the front of the engine and with that said, might as well replace the belt... My Question is, does the water pump also have to be replaced since it's part of that assembly?... and also told that it'll need an oil change... Waiting on more ph. calls... started as a 640.00 job and has racked up to 1,000.00... Thanks, Larry aka Jake Booze...

Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeBooze
Hey guys/gals, just dropped off our Nitro for the 102,000 mile insp./replacemant... Just got the call from service saying that to do the inspection they need to disassemble the front of the engine and with that said, might as well replace the belt... My Question is, does the water pump also have to be replaced since it's part of that assembly?... and also told that it'll need an oil change... Waiting on more ph. calls... started as a 640.00 job and has racked up to 1,000.00... Thanks, Larry aka Jake Booze...

Larry,

Does your vehicle have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:22 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes, it is usually the Water Pump that fails, and takes the belt with it.
as mentioned, if you have Life Time powertrain waranty, it covers waterpump replacement IF IT IS LEAKING. Not sure if it'll pay for it as a Maintainence item, might want to check with chrysler.
If you didn't buy the car NEW, and don't have waranty, you should consider doing the WaterPump and Timing Belt as a 105k miles service in the Owner's manual. Because if it fails, your $1000 bill just rack up to $4000.

What did you went in for originally? why are they dissabling the front of the engine? 100K service usually is just Tune ups and some fluid flush/replacement.

Last edited by steak59; 05-29-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 PM
JakeBooze

Yes Full warranty... Bought it new o7...

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 PM
JakeBooze

Thanks for the response.. Have 106,000 on it and knew the belt had to be looked at.. Dodge did call me and tell me the pump would be replace if it looked as if it needed it... I had the tune up done at 98,000... Wasn't sure though if the pump was warrantied...I'll give em a buzz in the morning... Truck should be done tomorrow morning... I'll definitely call before the mech. buttons it up... Great site... Thanks for the response... Much appreciated... Larry

Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeBooze
Thanks for the response.. Have 106,000 on it and knew the belt had to be looked at.. Dodge did call me and tell me the pump would be replace if it looked as if it needed it... I had the tune up done at 98,000... Wasn't sure though if the pump was warrantied...I'll give em a buzz in the morning... Truck should be done tomorrow morning... I'll definitely call before the mech. buttons it up... Great site... Thanks for the response... Much appreciated... Larry
Larry,

Yes, the water pump is covered under the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty and as Steak has indicated above it would be covered if it was faulty. I would say that if there was nothing wrong with the water pump and you have the Lifetime Warranty that I would not replace it because you will have to pay for it yourself. While the idea of replacing the water pump as a precautionary measure when replacing the belt is a good decision if you do not have warranty to cover it in case of future failure, why pay for it now when Chrysler would pay for it if it fails in the future?

Quick Reply: 2007 Nitro 4.0 Timing Belt Replacement