2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

AX15 Transmission

Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy AX15 Transmission

my trans is starting to pop out of 1st gear forcefully more and more frequently. it started a couple of days ago and scares me to drive it now. i know its the full way in gear because i am pushing it in as far as it goes, but it will pop out by it self and make a grinding metal on metal noise, until it pops itself out the whole way. not sure what to do besides plan on a rebuild which will be interesting because i have no experience in that area. any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated and on what route i should take.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You can try draining the transmission and checking the fluid. Expect to see lots of brass if the synchro's are gone, which is likely why you're popping out of gear.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Brian_
Captain

i did a change a few months back with some redline mt90 and had some shavings, what would be the other culprit besides synchros? anything i can do without tearing the tranny down?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation when?

Did the popping out of gear start when you changed the oil? I think popping out of gear was more of a shifter problem not synchros.

If so a change of oil may help the AX-15 takes a large amount of oil that’s what my truck has the AX-15.

I use the Mobile 1 oil that everyone under the sun says is bad for the synchros but after 4 years in my trans it still runs fine no synchro destruction. My only pain is second is hard to get into when cold after it warms up she is fine but this truck has always been that way, the lack of a reverse synchro sucks also.

The AX-15 is a strange trans everyone under sun uses a different oil in it and swears by what they use so all I can say is try a few and see what works for you.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:09 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default link

Jumping out of gear in a manual transmission is useually a sign of a worn detent in the internal shift linkage

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_would_a_car_slip_out_of_gear

some fun

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 06-07-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Does it feel like it goes into 1st?

It could also be a bad bearing causing excessive play.

As the synchro's engage they "lock" into position. Being brass they do wear out. Yes, they help the transmission not to clash when shifting but they also are what puts it in gear.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Unhappy 1st gear

If 1st gear is worn smooth that will also cause it to want to pop out

Anyway it’s time to visit a shop the trans is way too complicated for the average Joe DIY unless you have a lot of time on your side that is.

I would never do my own trans

May as well get a new clutch at same time and change out your U-joints also they have it out so it’s nothing extra for them to do it or at least it shouldn’t this may be something they try to ding you for any extra cost so get it priced out in detail.

Finding a good shop is the problem and one that will not rip you off.

God I hate taking my Dakota in for anything I DONT TRUST SHOPS

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 06-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Brian_
Captain

oh yeah i dont trust shops either. especially when i will get charged a arm and a leg. especially with me being a student i cant afford it. anybody know if its cheaper for me to take the tranny out and take it to the shop like that?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default I dont think so

I don’t think so

You can ask the shop but that part is easy in a shop with the lifts they have and power tools. Besides they would not be able to test it out and drive it to check for any problems they may even run the old well we can’t guarantee it if you bring it in story they run by you all the time.

Best just to let them do it all

Make sure they put a quality clutch in not some cheap crap it’s not worth it a cheap clutch is garbage you never save anything putting a cheap clutch in.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:16 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Like 98 says, let the shop do it. Most won't warranty it if you put it in, they'll say you did something wrong, let it hang by the input shaft, you name it.

You might check out some places that work on Jeeps, it's a popular tranny with them.

Definitely do the clutch, including the pilot and throwout bearings. With the tranny out it isn't that much additional work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AX15 Transmission