2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Passenger door won't unlock automatic.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM
NOMORECHEVY
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger door won't unlock automatic.

From the driver's side door I used to lock/unlock the passenger door while pressing the automatic door switch control button but now the passenger door won't unlock anymore, it only locks. Used to work both ways before but lately stopped doing it. Can somebody/anybody give me an advice how to fix the problem?...don't want to take it to a mechanic and pay "big buck$" for something that is probably easy to fix by my self.
Thank you in advance.

-Chester
1998 Ram1500 p/u

Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably just a bad electric actuator. Can you manually lock and unlock the passenger door using the **** at the top of the door panel?

The panel itself isn't hard to remove but you're pulling the panel free from the clips. The electric actuator is in the door, screwed to the bulkhead of the outside edge of the door. (3) screws I think, Torx.

There are (4) linkages that attach to the actuator using clever color coded plastic swing clips. You can undo and redo them using thumb and finger.

Replacement actuators can be found on Ebay for around $35 - $65 depending on age and wear. I just replaced mine a few months ago.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:24 PM
NOMORECHEVY
Amateur

Is this the one?.....it's for sale on eBay and was wondering if it's the correct MOPAR part number as the one you purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251056533034...034%26_rdc%3D1

Old 06-22-2012, 06:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Will it lock/unlock from the passenger switch?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
DK-v1
Professional

Same with mine, except it's the driver side door that won't lock/unlock automatically.

I can hear the motor/actuator working and sometimes it will actually unlock.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:14 PM
NOMORECHEVY
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Will it lock/unlock from the passenger switch?
Yes, it lock/unlock from the passenger switch without any problem but when it comes to the driver switch it only locks.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Likely a switch, or wiring problem then. You can get a service manual from the FAQ section here. Grab the 01 manual, it will be closest to yours.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:32 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Likely a switch, or wiring problem then. You can get a service manual from the FAQ section here. Grab the 01 manual, it will be closest to yours.

+ 1 on the switch. It is NOT the actuator. The actuator is magnetically operated. Can't fail just one way. The lock/unlock is facillitated by reversing the polarity of the power to it. So if actuator functions in one direction, then with power applied probely, it will work the other way.

It is EITHER the swicth (bad or needs cleaning) or wirng from the switch to the other side to the actuator.

Use volt/ohm meter with connector off, to test the switch firtst before reipping out wiring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger door won't unlock automatic.